VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Federal Disability Retirement Question - Federal Employees

Rate this question

green

Question

I am a long term Fed who recently applied for Disability Retirement.  I remember chatting with a few others on the forum who had similar backgrounds.  I'm wondering how long it really takes for OPM to process disability retirements?

Thanks much for your input.

Green

Green there are a lot of factors to consider, heck OPM's work load and manning and staffing requirements.  I can't say that my case is typical but from most in my circle 4 to 8 months is about the norm.  

Get that agency assessment in writing as it will come in handy for a few things. 

I waited them out and tried to last as long as I could. In my case I lost it at work and took my aggression on assets located in my work area. I had to bail before I really made a situation for myself.  Not saying that you will do that, but be aware of that.  Stress gives you a beating.  

I was told more or less the same thing and it was shorter than what they stated.  I'm not sure if that was just luck or what.  I know that 2/3 of the staff that processed retirement packages were not available.  When mine was processed one or two people usually took care of medical retirement packages.  

All I can say is to make sure you make it easy for them to have all the information and medical evidence to warrant your medical retirement.  This will help immensely.  

Tid bit make sure you visit occupational health and ask for a copy of your medical records you will need those eventually and they come in handy.  

I don't get on here as often any more, however, I will share what I know from my experiences.