VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Chapter 35 Dependents' Educational Assistance Program (DEA)

Rate this question

DevilDog12

Question

I got a letter and brochure in the mail today saying that I am a parent of a child who may be eligible for Educational Assistance under laws administered by the Department of Veterans Affairs.  In the brochure it says that you have to be a survivor of a veteran who died on active duty, or as a service-connected disability, or be permant and total disability eligible.  I am at 90%, with a claim pending, but I am not Permanent and Total.  Hopefully soon, but not as of yet.  Why would I get this letter if I'm not eligible?  Very confused.  I did have a son just turn 18, but again, I am not 100% P&T.

• Answers 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

It probably is a glitch.  I'm at 90% (93 total) and just completed a C&P, and all are static, except one 10% rating for a scar.  I asked for that rating to be changed to static since the scar is over 20 years old, and is still unstable and painful.  I'm hoping to get the P&T but don't think you can if you have one rating not considered static, even if all the static disabilities add up to 100.  I may be wrong, but thats how it was explained to me.  Anyway, I got excited when I seen that letter and brochure yesterday, but quickly realized it was probably a mistake.  But, hopefully here soon it becomes reality.  Its a long exhausting fight.  For me its not about the money, its about the benefits for dependents that come with it.  

I would contact a VSO.

In some cases, if the veteran is 30%, his children and wife are entitled to funding at any instate university or college.

I think children are entitled to 8 paid semesters and spouses 6 paid semesters.

GOOD LUCK...............