VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Military Records?

Rate this question

Buck52

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

what does the DOD / or military personal in charge of veterans service records..what and where do they send them?

Most prior Vietnam Veterans that were there before the fall of Saigon of 75,   in the late 60's to early 70's  for some of us the unit we were in has disapated and no longer exist According to ( Google Search) I put in my unit name Battillon AP0# and they can't seem to find any records...OK I called NPRC (Archives) St Louis they said ARB has all my Records. NRPC Lady says they have them because I have a claim in  . I said butI don't have a claim in I already have my claim decided back in 2015  Then she kinda got hissy fit with me we don't have your records and said she is disconnecting this call now  conversation over. eh!

My old unit in Germany no longer exist either according to google search. but I was there for 10 months just south of Mannheim Germany & just outside Heidelberg  Germany in Tompkins Barracks but I was there  eh!

Here is a link of the closing of Tompkins Barracks/where I was station about 46 /47 years ago. 

http://www.rafino.org/ShowContent?id=788

ARB (Army Review Board of military records correction) Contacted me and said they don't have any of my Service Records to make a correction on my 214..AND DENIED MY CORRECTION..I have one Year to submit more records of evidence  with the dates that are correct.

So how else can a Veteran that needs his  complete military service records get them?

My reason for asking is I am trying to get my DD-214 Corrected  b/c of the service dates are incorrect and they don't show my Germany service on it..only Vietnam Service  but the dates are wrong on that too.

I have been fighting with the ARB (Army Review Board of corrections military Records) in Arlington Va

I sent them old unit records/ TDY Travel Orders and any records I had to support my correction.

I seem to have lost my Orders after Basic Training and AIT  but I wrote ARB a letter  in detail the dates I was in basic and where and the dates from AIT and where &as close to the dates and where for Germany & Vietnam...Well that's not good enough either  ARB says they need Military unit Records...I don't have any and can't seem to get any.??

I even sent what records I had  that I used in my PTSD Claim  Mostly Vietnam Records...they are not good enough either b/c the dates where actually when I was in Vietnam  and not my ETS from Nam  that's the dates I need because I extended my tour longer than the required 12 months of Vietnam Duty.

Any help from anyone would be appreciated.

..............................Buck

Edited by Buck52

• Answers 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Buck, While I was in Germany I went to Schwetzingen every Friday to buy beer. Schwetzingold beer was my favorite beer while I was there, (snap daddies) We would usually buy all of the beer that we could haul back to Heidelberg in a Volkswagen to last for a entire week end poker game. Some weekends we would run short and have to substitute a local brand to finish out the weekend.

• HadIt.com Elder

I hear that James

I love that beer! & Handel enough of it working at the EM Club across the Street from the compound entrance gate.

Buck have you ever googled your Vietnam Unit's web site? They might have a list of unit awards there (like the PUC -Presidental Unit Citation) and unit web sites are always a good idea to help find a buddy, or the unit's history, and even reunion rosters.

Just to check, I just googled 1st Amphibious Tractor Battalion Marines Vietnam ( my husband's unit) and this popped up:

http://www.amtrac.org/

I have a good history of his unit here but will check this link out myself.

Their PUC Citation is on line.

• HadIt.com Elder

Yes I have Ms berta

I did that a few years ago and wrote a little message to my Buddy's gave my name (nicname) we all had nic-names and called each other by them , I been on buddy watch now for a few years  so for nothing?

Most of us never wore shirts if we did we took them off hang them up some place

Either most have passed away or just not looking up their buddy's? this has been 45/46 years ago!

As for my Military Germany service I can't remember  anyone's name  I worked in a EM Club when off duty!

shouldn't ARB give it a try as to the dates and places I gave them  to re-look for any of my military records?

ARB seems to not want to help  there rude and crude and act like I am just making all this up  they even said b/c this veteran can't produce records that he claims ...to prevent veteran from being embarrassed he should stop this record correction claim or something close to that......when they said that  it really pissed me off so this is personal with me Now.

Edited by Buck52