VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

2nd PTSD C & P Exam/Advise Please

Rate this question

Gyrlwolf

Question

Currently 70% service connected for PTSD with Major Manic Depression (due to MST) since 2013. (Was rated 70% for PTSD & 10% for wrist injury) Recently diagnosed with Bipolar 2 disorder and PTSD symptoms have severely increased in past 8 months, so a new claim was filed for an increase for PTSD & to add the new Bipolar 2 diagnosis. Had my  C & P exam earlier this month and saw "total social and occupational impairment" listed in my chart C & P exam notes via MyHeathyvet. Ebenefits states my FDC should be complete between 11/11/16-12/21/16. And yes, I do currently work but it's become increasingly difficult.  I've been seeing a psychologist and a psychiatrist regularly and they've both noted in my records several times that me working has been extremely difficult. But since I'm a nurse and they know I love to help others, they're both hoping I get 100% but am still allowed to work. Even if just part-time. Some days are better than others. Lately the memories have been extremely intrusive even during work hours so they encouraged me to file the increase for PTSD and try prolonged exposure treatment as well. I think since I'm only seeing VA doctors that's the reason my claim is moving so fast as currently it's in the "preparation for decision" phase & I just filed it 8/2016. They both feel the doctors missed my Bipolar diagnosis all those years while I was serving active duty and was seeing doctors for the depression in conjunction with the PTSD. They were like "We the doctors even looking at what they were documenting?! The symptoms were all there!" What rating/percentage increase if any do you think will happen now? Thanks in advance for any feedback and sorry for being so long winded. Just tried to give all info for the best feedback possible. Thanks again for any replies.  :) 

Edited by Gyrlwolf
Spelling error

You won't get an increase just because of a bi-polar diagnoses. You only get rated for one mental issue. So hopefully the RO doesn't try to say your ptsd isn't as bad as thought and blame it on bi-polar. ZHopeully someone with more exp will chime in but I could see the RO saying, veteran rated at 70% ptsd is actually 50% ptsd and XX% bi-polar.. Issue here is they do not get added up and the veteran gets the higher of the two.

@11cvolley-Yes, I'm aware that you can't claim two mental illnesses. The psychiatrist for the C & P exam stated she felt my PTSD symptoms were extremely bad and doesn't agree with the Bipolar Diagnosis. She even stated that in her notes. She feels my PTSD symptoms are so bad it's just causing me to have erratic behavior. Which is why she stated she was putting "total Social and occupational impairment" due to the PTSD. She was really nice. I hope the RO reviews everything to include my other medical records which will show the severity of my PTSD symptoms. Thank you for the feedback. It's appreciated. :)

Honestly, I don't think you can get the 100% for PTSD if your still working.  If you look at the criteria for 100 PTSD, it's pretty much "you're a hermit, you can't leave home, you can't function with other people, you probably can't handle your own finances".  Just my opinion, but one that I've heard over the last 10 years though different counselors.  I wish you the best with it.  

@10thFO Yes, 100% is the rare golden egg so to speak. I'm ok with whatever they bless me with. In the meantime I'll continue my battle against this nightmare and try to gain more control of my life. Thank you so much for your feedback. 

Good Morning everyone. I wanted to first thank everyone whose given me feedback and who've been here for support, even if just by taking the time to review my question. I wanted to share with you the wonderful news I got today. As of today I'm 100% SC for PTSD only, permanent and total, and am still employable. I'm still in shock and still trying to wrap my head around it all. Waiting for my information package in the mail, but spoke to VA representative today after checking on EBenefits and she confirmed everything. Feeling truly blessed. So for all of those out there still waiting, keep praying as I have and will continue to do, and don't give up. And never say never because your claim could be that 1 rare unicorn like mine that ends positively. :happy:

• HadIt.com Elder

Great News ,I am always glad to hear  veterans get the benefits they deserve.  wtg & Congrarulations

I have to say  this is a new one on me? VA maybe'' Lengthen'' changing their Rein/ Rope on us?   

''I wanted to share with you the wonderful news I got today. As of today I'm 100% SC for PTSD only, permanent and total, and am still employable''

you should check on the SMC-S-1 status if your rated 100% plus 60% for separate S.C. disability? its supposed to be a Mandatory rating!

I knew a veteran can work with a 100% S.C. rating  but never knew he/she could work with a 100%Mental rating  and with P&T 

Seems my Therapist is always telling me  ''your going get better! ..although I just have a  Chronic 70% PTSD Rating.

However I have a 10% & 90% S.C.TDIU P&T Rating that pushed me up to the SMC-S1 

10% 90% 70% &  working on another 10% S.C.

so being IU I can't work..> if I could.  But I can't  to disabled . 

Edited by Buck52