VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

PTSD Statements

Rate this question

USMC03Grunt

Question

Hello all, first post. 

So so a little background, myself I did 3 tours of Iraq in the infantry. I saw combat each time, Purple Heart in my first tour. 

I got out in 2005, once the party ended I started having issues. I put in a claim in 2014. I was rated at 50% for stressors related not PTSD. Until then I did not see the VA except for when I first got out. I am now pretty active in the system.  2 years later now and I  things are getting worse. I also omitted a couple things that I didn't think were issues that others have pointed out. Tinnitus and TBI from a bad vehicle accident in country. 

So so I am putting in for PTSD again, I can enter statements online now. How many should I put in? I can think of a dozen instances that bring back bad memories and what I think is causing my issues. 

I have written 3 but I'm finding it difficult to relive every detail. I have wrote in the remarks a summary of all the instances in country that I think are affecting me .

Just looking for feedback from brothers who have been in the same situation  

• Answers 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

5 answers to this question

Welcome Marine!

What is the Purple Heart for?  That may well be a good starting point for your PTSD claim.  Same goes for the MVA in country.  As for the Tinnitus, that should be a fairly easy one, since a majority of the tinnitus claims are solely awarded/granted based on your MOS.  Being a 03hump-a-lot and 3 tours in the sand would certainly have exposed you to enough gun fire and various loud combat noises to damage your hearing.  There is no test for it, since it is internal nerve damage, basically only you can hear it in your head.  They may do a hearing test to see if you have hearing loss, which can easily be checked by comparing to your hearing tests from boot camp or the MEPS exams, which should be in your SMR.

Semper Fi

Andy

Well I had my final c and p exam. I have been keeping a semi diary for the last few months so I could properly bring up all my issues. 

My ptsd c and p was through VES not the VA like last time. She already had what seemed like my whole file. It lasted about 1.5 hours but I could tell she wanted to get me out for the next appointment toward the end.I felt decent about describing my issues worsening although I could have went deeper into some topics. 

A side note her office was in a chiropractor office and her desk was a massage table. Kinda odd, she seemed fair and reasonable enough. I did feel compassion from all the VES doctors I met.

i am hoping my stressor/ptsd stays the same if not increases. I tried getting the point across that things are getting worse.

i also had a exam for my schrapnel scar which the doctor talked with me and it seems like a little muscle damage so I'm not sure how it will get claimed as I put in for scars.

• HadIt.com Elder

What are you rated for now? how  much is your rating %? do you have a PTSD Rating % at all?

Is this a new claim for PTSD? OR increase?

scars will be rated separate.

btw did you get a free message??? :smile:

Edited by Buck52

She kinda explained to me that stressor rating and ptsd are pretty similar. It has annoyed me that a couple people within the va did not know what stressor related disorder was. To be honest I really don't either I just know things aren't right with me. 

Hoepfully I will get the PTSD diagnosis and a higher rating. 

I wish you the best of luck.  I was in the same boat as you are.  I have a purple heart for shrapnel to the face that I received in Fallujah in 04.  I got out in 05 and didn't think I had any issues.  It took until 2014 for me to realize that I needed help.  I was jumpy, getting more and more paranoid, plus I couldn't operate in large crowds due to situational anxiety.  When I first put in for my claim, the C&P examiner didn't have my file,  I ended up getting denied.  They said I had PTSD but none of my issues were service related.  I went to therapy,  built my evidence and the filed to reopen due to new evidence.  Had to do a new C&P and it lasted about 2 hours.  I ended up getting 50% but in order to make all this happen I had to get my congressman involved.  I only had to write two stressor events and I used the two that I still think about everyday.  Good luck and most importantly don't get discouraged.  Its a process and You WILL WIN if you keep fighting.