VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

AO good news

Rate this question

Andyman73

Question

Got some good news to share.  Some of you may know, or recall, that I had written elsewhere on here, that my Dad(Nam combat, 24 yr career retired, 60% SCD) and I don't exactly communicate very well.  The grapevine tells me that it's my own lack of communication skills are the problem.  Anyway, while updating my folks after yesterday's 6 month foster child case review court session, Dad went off topic to let me know that the VA has opened an AO claim for/on him.  Said they initiated it(???)and that he has a bunch of appointments scheduled over the next few months.  I was quite surprised that he wanted to tell me about that...since I'm usually the last to know, and my wife is usually the one telling me.

So...is there anything I should tell him to tell them?  I don't know too much about his overall health, beyond his Nam related back injury.  Thanks.

Andy

• HadIt.com Elder

yes I open it

got to read it study it

Thanks Bud

19 hours ago, Berta said:

Good on the CRDP or maybe it is CRSC

...and he does not have to prove AO exposure at all.

In country- Vietnam is all he needs. He probably does not want to talk about that 122 M hit he took. That would give anyone PTSD in addition to major physical disability..

His DD-214 shows boots on the ground.

The only thing I can point to, as far as PTSD, is that he told me, way back, that he had nightmares for at least 10-15 years. And he would find himself diving to the floor, during overnight thunderstorms. That's all he would tell me.

Before either he or you get too concerned about Nehmer Claims, probably be a good idea to try & discuss with him, exactly what his current Medical Picture is. At his age, early to mid 70's, not unusual for a long standing non-diagnosed  Med Condition to all of a sudden, jump ugly, and end up with an Official DX.

You indicated that he has VA Exams scheduled, not by his doing, but the VA's. These sound like Reg A$$ Exams, not necessarily C & P's.

At the very least, someone he trusts, needs to access his E-Ben Acct and "START" a New Claim for whatever the Possible New DX (s) is or are, just to lock in the Retro Date.

We need way more info, in order to assist. Boots on the Ground Nam qualifies him for Nehmer Status and a move to the front of the Claims Line but only if he is Claiming an AO Presumptive Condition or Secondary.

Try to hook him up with Hadit, Vets are never too old to start getting VA Comp Educated.

Semper Fi

All,

Not sure what the deal is, other then telling me that this was in process, he doesn't want to talk to me about it. So to avoid what happened last year when I tried to get him to talk, I only asked one question. Right away he got a look in his eye, and that was that. 

I don't know what gives. I have never tried to compare myself to him, or any combat Vet for that matter, any time we ever talk shop. I avoid it at all costs, as I have no combat experience, and do not want to make that unforgivable faux pa. Especially with my own father.

But the insider word is less than kind to me. Insider just informed me that Dad is not feeling the warm fuzzies for his first born.  But she won't tell me what or why.  I guess when you're married to someone who is gifted with the magic touch that gets folks to own up and tell her what's in their hearts, you get the bad with the good. 

I should have seen this coming, I seem to have a nack for not quite getting it right. He was never hard or demanding of me, not that I recall. But definitely disappointed more often than not.  

• HadIt.com Elder

Andyman73

Are you saying that your Dad don't won't you to help him with his Claim? or getting him the  MH Medical help he needs?

I actually went for years and years hiding the fact I had PTSD and never wanted to discuss it with anyone my spouse my sons my best friend  no one, until I just could not take hiding it anymore.

With some of us veterans  that's just the way it is, there's no rhyme or reason for it,  lots of things goes unsaid over the years until we see the light and want the help we very badly need.

Maybe our stubbornness will eventually end, I know I gave in about 2 years ago and got help...I am glad I did now and currently in weekly VA Therapy sessions.

Maybe you can get your Dad the help he needs, but please remember PTSD has  DIFFERENT EFFECT ON MOST ALL OF US AND HOW WE HANDEL IT IS VERY CRUCIAL TO OUR FAMILY'S.

Until your Dad is ready to get the help he needs not much anyone can do &  especially if you have tried and tried.

Always be there for your Dad no matter what  to show respect is the best thing you can do for your Dad.

jmo

..................Buck

• HadIt.com Elder

I might add since getting the help I needed I have a better relationship with both my sons and an over all better relationship with my spouse.

And my out look on life has changed for the better  but I still have  episodes of flash backs/nightmares ect,,ect,, but therapy is addressing these things.

It takes a lot of time to understand all these bad things that were traumatized with.