VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Positive progression

Rate this question

Tomahawk

Question

I have been battling the VA for over 15 years.  I have had numerous vet reps throughout that time and in the end I got rid of them all and took the time to do the research myself.

Before finally sending my claim to the BVA, the DRO called me in mid July stating that they reviewed my claim and that 1 of the 5 issues I was contending was going to be granted for me.  And they also told me that within that review they saw two other claims that I should have made.  Which I found odd.  She basically told me that I should look over my file.  There are two conditions that are clearly related to my SC Disability and that were I to file for those they would be granted without any issue.  However she wouldn't tell me what those two conditions would be.  So I need to figure that out once I finish my appeal.

With that said, after an almost 7 year wait I had my BVA hearing last week.  I just started a job a month ago that is my first since service to offer medical insurance.  So I answered all of her questions, and presented my case, then requested the judge to hold the record open for 60 days so that I can have time to get an IME on 2 of my 4 issues which she granted. 

After we finished the hearing and she stopped recording she stated that she was pleasantly surprised.  Most veterans who represent themselves aren't prepared, it was clear that I had done my research, and that I did an exceptional job presenting my case.  I'm hopeful that she wasn't just blowing smoke and that my case was strong in her eyes already.

So now I have to get the IME's and hope the doctor agrees with the conclusions I have drawn.  After that we will see how it goes.

Keep fighting if you believe your cause is just. 

• Answers 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

1 answer to this question

Good for you!  The VA wants us all to be in the dark.

Interesting that there is potential for more SC.......and you had a DRO who saw the other issues...but they have to be formally claimed... that is frustrating I know.... but sounds like they too will be winners.

Many many years ago I helped a few vets in my home, who I had met at the local VAMC.It seemed they might have solid claims...but they would show up either with no records at all, not even a 214, or worse yet, come here with  an enormous stack of records, that they had never really gone through at all.

The word ''nexus"alluded many of them who had never even obtained their SMRs either.......but we didnt have the internet then and I had to buy the VBM every year to get the latest regulations, and also to use the local law library, where Title 38 was all on a big long shelf...and the regulations supplements were never up to date.

It wasn't their fault that they didnt know what they needed for their claim...this was pre VCAA as well....many had already been denied due to not knowing what the VA really needed to have.....

and their local vet reps, (who repped me too for a while ) were actually afraid of our RO,in my opinion.

I kept losing my claims until I started to do it all pro se as well.

I would think that a DRO, with a well prepared vet representing him or herself, would be very thorough in reviewing their claims.

You are doing a great job in my opinion, and gave great advice:

"Keep fighting if you believe your cause is just."

My philosophy as well...... if I had not kept fighting , my claims would all still be in the crapper.