VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Rate this question

..tiredmarine0331

Question

Hello everyone, I am using Voc Rehab benefits and was put on a program inside voc rehab called "extended evaluation" this was because I already tried school and dropped out, had a few manual labor jobs, sold cars at a dealership and nothing worked out for me due to my disabilities. I called my case manager today and told her I really needed a new smart phone because the one I had was given to me when I switched to a new phone company and long story short is a shitty phone, I strongly relay on my phone as an alarm clock, calendar and reminder device.

My question is: has anyone gotten a smart phone through voc rehab?

Thanks,

Tiredmarine0331

6 answers to this question

You would need to apply under the ILP program to get one. Hell, we all get computers, tablets etc. out of them. I don't see why you can't say it's necessary and vital to you for taking meds, keeping track of appointments etc. Best of luck. File a VAF 1900 and begin the process.

Nod, just got phone notification from VR/IL Councilor that my IL Program has been approved by the IL Review Board at the RO. I'm currently awaiting arrival of IL Proposal Package, which requires my signature indicating  acceptance.

Will definitely be interesting to see what the IL Dept is willing to do.

Back in 9 or 10, as I recall, I saw a list of VA IL Program Provided Services & Equipment, on one of the Vet Sites.

Is there a VA document listing Approved and Non-eligible Equipment and Services?

Semper Fi

They do not hand out mobility devices like riding lawnmowers/ golf carts/ small tractors anymore (since 2012) but that was never legislated in the Federal Register. I guess too many Vets were using them to ride down to their VFW bars to get drunk and avoid a DUI. Remember, they also said I didn't qualify for a greenhouse because I had one already. Then one morning I woke up and they said I had three. The little buggers procreate when you aren't looking, I guess.

Be wary, sir. They really need to do a workup on your documented needs and you would normally state what you desired and why ahead of time in an interview where you supply a wish list of several items. Remember also this is like a claim in that you need a "nexus letter" from a Voc Rehab counselor (preferably a private one -not VA) stating what you need and why it is necessary and vital. Otherwise, they show up, measure you for grab bars at toilets, an electric can opener if you have peripheral neuropathy and the like. VA OGC Precedent 6-2001 threw in the "necessary and vital" clause that makes a nexus letter a must. Otherwise, a VA counselor will merely give you the rubber stamp saying no to a computer or other device. Remember, I fought all the way to the BVA for the greenhouse. I must have heard the word 'no' about 50 times-even after I won. They will begin breaking ground here in 30-40 days. Read the 28-8872 IILP document very carefully as to what you agree on. They will sneak extras in like having you report monthly to a RO for a medical checkup to make sure you are "healthy" enough to continue participation. You have the right to use your own doctor instead of a VAMC. I would.

If your disability is PTSD, I'd ask for a woodshop or a photography suite to do video production (amateur). They will deny anything above a computer automatically anyway. Or.... a greenhouse. The new M 28 says if you haven't been doing what you want for a year previously, then no dice. That was added in March 31, 2014 but again, it was never approved by Congress. It is merely the VR&E's way of reinventing ILP denials. I think my request for a $150 K greenhouse made them revamp the prerequisites for  big dollar grants. Best of luck. Keep us posted on the bait and switch.

clear prop.

I was, so looking forward to a Lawn/Snow Tractor. Alas, not to be.

Will be very interesting to see exactly which of the items from the VA Contract Social Workers extensive List of recommendations, based on the in-home meeting, are actually approved by the IL Dept.

This is my 2nd dealing with the IL Dept, 2 different VR Dept Councilors. Both Councilors have been very tight lipped in regards to what is and is not covered. The SAH & SHA Housing Grant information is fairly straight-forward.

It's almost like the Councilors have been directed to not recommend any particular Service or piece of equipment up front, but to wait for the Vet to ask for it by name. Every couple of sentences, they like to remind you that what is currently available from IL has drastically changed from years past.

Might just be me, I don't think it's a very Pro-Vet way of doing business.

Semper Fi

Never allow the VR&E pukes to quote VA law to you. The M-28 is a manual to be used as aguide to help formulate a decision. It is not law. Just because they said no more riding lawnmowers is not law. Saying no to a small John Deere tractor is not VA law. It is a decision based on them arbitrarily saying now with no legal justification. They tried that crap on me for five years. I just plodded along straight ahead and kept saying Greenhouse. When I got to the BVA the VLJ  looked and said "I don't see where it says no greenhouse. Show me." They couldn't, so I won. You need to follow the same game plan. A rater  once told me there was nothing after 100% and I believed him until one day I read about SMC in 2009. I got SMC S by fighting for it. Same difference. They will never tell you the truth so do not expect it when they show up and say no dice. 

Use their own regulations against them. If they whip out the M-28 for justification, laugh at them and explain the difference.If they deny, call me. Jez. You're a Marine- or were one once. You know the drill. It ain't a f-up until you can't fix it, hoss.

I copy. I will become one, with the M-28.

At ease on that "were one once," no such thing in the Corps. Maybe with Birdmen, Doggies and Squids but never with Jar Heads.

Never fear, was never going to let the ILC slide.

Semper Fi