VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Disibility Increase

Rate this question

alre

Question

Valid increase? I am was rated service connected 20% percent for prostate enlargement and received an increase to 40% percent 7 years later for urinary frequency more than 11 times per day and over 5 times at night. I have now recently been diagnosed with prostate cancer. Would this be a case for a claim for an increases in my disability?  Can anybody help with this one?

Gastone, we were both posting at the  same time I think....

and we all have to be careful of making ball park statements as to any type of ratings.

Prostate  cancer , in the link I gave above, is almost always rated at 100% for 6 months after surgery, than they rate the residuals.

I think that decision above ( maybe I was reading a different one,many at the BVA on prostate cancer ) shows the vet went  from 100% Prostate cancer down to "0", then there was a  re-occurrence of the cancer that raised his rating up again.

Ms B, copy that. I think he still got the idea, the 100% Rating ain't forever. I know a few Nam Vets, who had no clue the 100% was temporary after surgery. They got a BIG surprise, and not a good one.

In their defense, this was 6 or 8 years ago, most Nam Vets had limited  computer/internet experience. Maybe their VSO-Reps didn't stress the SC Reduction well enough. As I recall, to a man, they ended up in the 20 to 30% SC range. Can't say I've ever talked to any man, Vet or not, that didn't experience severe residuals after the successful Prostate removal.

Looking back, I trust they all ended up filing for Depression, Secondary to the Prostate SC. They were depressed before the surgery and Big Time Depressed Post Surgery, especially after the SC Reduction.

Semper Fi

You are so right Gastone.

The 100% is a temporary initial rating.

The very first vet who called in to my very first SVR radio show was a vet with a 100 % P & T rating for prostate cancer, that had continued, with medical evidence way beyond the 6 month mark...lots of residuals....

His SC  100% P & T cancer was not in question....all of a sudden VA proposed to reduce saying he didnt have boots on ground Vietnam.,,,his kids were both applying to colleges and he was fearful the DEA college benefits would be lost.

Long story.........he asked for a hearing but by time of hearing we had developed enough evidence to not only have the hearing cancelled but to get the 100% SC P & T restored.

This is the vet I mentioned here with only one boot on ground-Vietnam....and I only realized that after many conversations with him....and Bingo that was all he needed.He called in to the show to thank me again and to tell vets to Never give up.

I don't have the time to do that  one to one stuff anymore and this vet was VERY proactive and followed my suggestions to the letter.....and he saved his comp and his kids Chap 35 and the family's CHAMPVA benefits.

He was fully able to prove quickly -why he had only one boot on Vietnamese soil.

For me it was one of the best days of my life when he called me to tell me they had restored his 100% P & T comp.

He was right---we must Never give up...but we must  be willing to do whatever we can to prove anything that is lacking in our claims.