VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ptsd non combat

Rate this question

flipper331

Question

If the VA diagnoses you with PTSD, that is the first hurdle, but non combat PTSD requires proof of the stressor.

There are ways to prove inservice stressors....there is much info here on how to prove MST PTSD claims under a search.

Claims not involving military sexual trauma might have key info in the Personnel file ( 201 files) and the SMRs.... such as trauma from a thump call, etc etc and can often be proven with SMR treatments records and buddy statements as to the eyewitness accounts of what happened.

We have info here searchable on what is and isnt a stressor and also how Buddy statements should be prepared.

Hello Flipper,

Just be honest and let them know what happened.  I have non combat related PTSD but I was seeing the on base Psychologist and given anti-depressants.  I agree with Berta about the buddy statements from all types, officers, enlisted, sergeants, CO.  You basically have to prove as much as possible that this happened during military service and how it has affected you as far as PTSD.

CaliBay

I would anticipate the stressor is either already confirmed, or you are being afforded an exam from another route, for example being deployed or having a combat badge. 

If you have been to Iraq (etc) and claim PTSD, you will get an exam, even if you said on your 0871 that your stressor is witnessing a car crash outside the main gate in Vicenza.

If that is not the case, the VA will not (or should not) waste an exam and more time on a claim if the stressor is unverified, or unverifiable.

To Beta & CalBay

I have been seeing a dr at the local va, was diagnosed with ptsd. I have always been truthful. makes life easier . the big problem I have, is is never reported it, because of the situation . so no record .  as for a reliable witness ,  the person doesn't want to get involved .  during my c&p exam ,  the dr. Was very upfront and honest. and suggested a different route that has brought much  success. time will tell. Thank you all

4 hours ago, flipper331 said:

Tyr,

This event  happened while preparing to deploy . I had my c&p exam seems like it's going a a little different route 

Thx

Sounds like you deployed, so you get an exam regardless of what you say the stressor is.  Hopefully you mentioned something about a possible stressor during your deployment - that would be great.