VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ptsd non combat

Rate this question

flipper331

Question

Remember the Caluza trianagle.  This is what you need for service connection.

1.  Current diagnosis of disability.  No diagnosis, no Service connection.

2.  In service event or aggravation.  You are going to need documentation.  What did your ETS say?

3.  Nexus, or medical link between the above.  It needs to be in the form of, "The VEterans depression is at least as likely as not due to xx event that occurred while in military service."

If you can document all of the above, you should be able to get service connection.  

Are you an incountry OIF/OEF veteran?

Did the PTSD diagnosis come from either a VA psychologist or a VA psychiatrist?

If so to both above, have you carefully read over the  2010 PTSD criteria here at hadit?

Do you have the PH, CAR, and/or the CIB on your DD 214?

Were you in close proximity to hostile fire and/or in fear of it?

That might have been the different route the doctor suggested.

Sometimes a vet (or even a non vet ) who has PTSD, attributes it to something other than the main cause for it. I have known vets who denied having  PTSD, because they didnt want to re live stressors...for the VA but most vets with PTSD re live those stressors all the time anyhow,....or said they might have PTSD but attribute it to non service causes that mask the actual reason they have PTSD.

I too would ask what Broncovet asked.....what did the ETS involve?

Hello Flipper,

I just want to say that there is normally a stigma for non-combat related issues getting disability for anything.  Let me just shut that down and just give you the facts on that.  Anything during your service (military are considered 24/7 workers) whether you were off work, if it is hazing from your peers (this happened to all FNGs including me), anything that caused a physical or mental illness or trauma can be claimed. I was a young airmen having to cut grass because a General was visiting and I accidentally chopped off one my toes with the lawnmower that cut through my boots.  Though I never claimed this because we had a bad transition program and never knew about VA compensation.

Personally I haven't been able to get there with non-combat PTSD.  Most of my SCDs are a direct or indirect result of when I fell down the stairs at boot camp.  Not only was I hurt, had to use crutches for 8 days, but also subjected to additional USMC Drill Instructor "love" because of it. This lead to depression and anxiety and several suicide attempts and alcohol abuse that ended up with an Article 15.

I was in constant fear of being put on report over my 6yr enlistment due to not being able to keep up during PT runs and such. I had to go to sick call every time I fell too far off the run pace, just to keep off the bad list. Even then it didn't work, I spent 30 days on remedial pt, which got me several weeks of light duty because my knees hurt so bad.

Current DX is for MDD...that was DX by VA dr., but not SC because of bad C&P exam. The DX was made about 5 months before the bad exam took place.  24 years has passed since the initial injuries occurred.

So, someone please tell me....would that fall down the stairs on my 5th day of Boot Camp be the "qualifying event" for a non-combat PTSD?  My VA shrink never wanted to do a PTSD workup on me, even though I had asked him to.  He didn't think it was necessary.  Not only that, he recently reduced my frequency of treatment to once every other month.

Do I have something here? I did some looking into non-combat ptsd, but end up going in circles.  Maybe I'm just wasting everybody's time, eh?

• HadIt.com Elder

Andyman

I was talking to another Vet at VA MH dept just the other day about this (Non-Combat PTSD)  he said he was hurt in a training exercise at Ft Benning Ga  (When IDK?) Anyway While in the hospital he witness a veteran death choking to death before help arrived   and he was alone with that veteran in bed and unable to get out of bed & couldn't help....this has bothered him  and later after his recovery  he went to MH and they diagnose him with DSM 5 PTSD....b/c of what he witnessed

he filed a claim and got a 30% S.C. Rating...I ask him what he used for evidence?

he said he ask the MH Phyistrist if what he seen could cause or aggravate his PTSD what he had witness while recovering in the VA Hospital ?

she said yes it can  he ask her if she would put that in  the VA Notes as likely as not aggravated his PTSD  she did  and he used that for his evidence when he filed his claim For Non-Combat PTSD.

It only takes a traumatic event Or Be witness to such things to cause PTSD  Not only combat   there's other things that can cause PTSD.