VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Compensation claim

Rate this question

Michael Enriquez

Question

Due to my being prescribed NSAIDS for pain and inflammation my kidneys were damaged and I was put on a  assortment of medications to treat this condition. I will have it for the rest of my life. Now, due to the medications I was prescribed (steroids) I am now a diabetic and that is a incurable disease. I have it in the Doctor's notes stating that the cause of these two complications are due to the prescribing of these medications for treating these conditions. My question is where would I go to word these right when I submit a claim and do I submit as a secondary or how do I do it? I am in Colorado and I have a VSO and while he is a nice guy, I don't think he has enough knowledge and aggressiveness to pursue a claim like this for me. I would appreciate any help. Thank You.

The first question is what were the NSAIDs prescribed for?  Was it a SC condition?  Was this prescribed by the VA or in the military?  

Assuming this was either prescribed in the military OR, the NSAIDS were prescribed for a sc condition, then you would need to document it and apply for your kidney issues secondary to the SC condition.  

If they were prescribed in service, then the reason should not matter.

Get a copy of your cfile, dont guess.  

Get a copy of your cfile, dont guess.  To get service connected for your secondary issues, you need documentation in your file that "it is at least as likely as not that your kidney issues were caused by NSAIDs prescribed for SC issues".  

If you dont have something very close to that documented in your cfile, you wont get sc for those issues.  

Did your VA dr DX the kidney damage or a private Dr? Your treatment records should show the DX and what the doctor believes is the cause.  You may find some of that on the myhealthyvet blue button download option.  Also via your local VAMC ROI records office can print out VA treatment records as well.  These will be much quicker and will give you a solid starting point while waiting for your C-file, which may take many moons to arrive.  I've been waiting since May for my C-file.

You can claim any additional disability from the VA-prescribed NSAIDS under Section 1151 or as secondary to your SC disabilities.

"I have it in the Doctor's notes stating that the cause of these two complications are due to the prescribing of these medications for treating these conditions. "

That is good documented evidence.

The VSO might be more helpful if you show him a copy of that entry.

Vets prescribed NSAIDS by VA for a SC condition have been able to get GERD SCed as secondary.

NSC vets prescribed NSAIDS have been able to get GERD or any other documented resulting disability-if caused directly by the NSAIDS, "as if" service connected under Section 1151 ,38 USC.

Berta,

So glad you posted that about the NSAIDS! 

I was prescribed 800mg horse pill "Vitamin M" motrin for a lot of my 6 years in the Marines, and then 500s via the VA for many years after that.  A few years ago my PCP switched me to tylenol due to NSAIDS  side effect of boosting your BP.  I suffered horrible GERD like symptoms for a long long time, but always assumed it was due to my diet, and not my meds.

If I don't have a DX for the GERD, how do I claim it?  Do I write up as GI issues secondary to what?