VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Agent Orange - how do i prove my husband was in the DMZ

Rate this question

Patricia Crow

Question

Hello: I am a widow of a former Veteran, He was in Korea as a track vehicle mechanic , He left Korea on Dec. 19, 1972.  he was in A Trp 4/7th. Cav. I have applied for agent Orange and was turned down. His name was Randall Crow , we at the time lived In Lockesburg, Ar.My question is ; How do I prove He was on the DMV?

If anyone knew him please respond to peppercreek1@windstream.net Help!  Please .

• Answers 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

6 answers to this question

In 2011 the former Korea Agent Orange regulations were enhanced ,as to the dates,and this is the newest version of them:

http://community.hadit.com/topic/41737-korea-agent-orange-vets/

In part:

“Under the final regulation published today in the Federal Register, VA

will presume herbicide exposure for any Veteran who served between April

1, 1968, and Aug. 31, 1971, in a unit determined by VA and the

Department of Defense (DoD) to have operated in an area in or near the

Korean DMZ in which herbicides were applied.”

I assume he was there within those dates above.

Was A Trp the exact unit he was in at time he was in Korea?

Have you googled his unity to see if they have a web site that might have historic unit info ?

What Agent Orange Presumptive condition caused his death?

I assume the VA has denied your DIC claim...of so, 

what reason did they deny for?

If the denial says they could not confirm his presence in or near the DMZ,under the evidence list or within the decision they should have stated what steps they took ( probably contacting JSRRC) to determine if he was in or near the DMZ.

Does the denial state anything like that? ...

Can you scan and attach their Reason and Basis part of the denial and the Evidence list they used and attach it here? ( cover C file, name, addres prior to scanning it)

I googled the unit designation and found many sites popped up:

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&rlz=1C1CHBF_enUS695US695&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=A+Trp4%2F7th+CAV+DMZ+Korea

Some were at Facebook....it pays to google unit sites and their histories and many even have reunion rosters or "lookin for" areas.

• HadIt.com Elder

This should be on his DD-214...But if it was not consider his duty station  then it won't be on the DD- 214

I was TDY on several occasion while in Vietnam  and some of the TDY places I had to go to was not on my  DD -214. 

They confirmed my where bouts through  JSRRC)

I also used in-country travel orders as evidence.

she can get Buddy statements from his unit,,,if she can find anyone?  and That is hard to do....Back when I was over there I had buddys  but after I left I forgot to get address.real names ect,,,ect,, my buddys gave me a ''short-time party and next day I was on the plane back to California.

I think most of us never ever realized we might need each other again  let along thinkabout a compensation claim...I know I never did. 

I was just happy/lucky to get to go home and get the hell out of that hell hole.

Buck,

A Trp 4/7th CAV was clearly a unit in Korea for years and at the DMZ.

But we don't know yet why the VA denied. I wouldn't rule out that the VA might have used the older Korea AO criteria as to the dates, instead of the newer more favorable regulation.

You are right....who thought during Vietnam that they needed to keep a list of unit buddies and their hometown contact info...

One of my husband's stressors was that he was supposed to go first in an intersection near Danang and his real good unit friend, was in a tank to the left of him at the X. The roads had visible USMC jeep tires tracks so they looked safe. Instead of being waved into the X first , my husband waited because his buddy in a tank was waived to cross it first. The tank blew up. My husband landed far from his truck due to the explosion and of course the enemy had mined the roads early that morning and used some tires from an American jeep to make it all look safe.

If a vet loses a buddy in this way, they will find them on the Wall.We went to DC and also to the Travelling Wall to get the tracing, as evidence Same Unit, Same time and Place- stressor Vietnam.

Va never mentioned it however, there were so many other stressors,he had ----- all easy to prove....

It was definitely HELL on earth and the enemy was by far more sophisticated tactically and strategically, than our Gov wanted to believe.

Edited by Berta

just to add:

Maybe, as I mentioned , the VA got the dates of this vet's service wrong. 

Also the BVA found an error VA made in this vet's AO DMZ claim:

"In September 2011, VA revised its M21-1 MR provisions to reflect the amended 38 C.F.R. § 3.307(a)(6)(iv).  In so doing, VA kept the list of units or other military entities that DoD identified as operating in or near the Korean DMZ during the qualifying time period.  M21-1 MR, Part IV, subpt ii, ch. 2, sec. C.10 (change in effect since September 15, 2011).  VA intended to continue the JSRRC verification process for alleged service along the DMZ between April 1968 and July 1969, but erred in its wording as follows:

Important: Send a request to the JSRRC for verification of exposure to herbicides when a Veteran claims exposure in Korea, and his/her service was not between April 1, 1968, and August 31, 1971, and in a unit or entity listed in the table above.

It is clear to the Board that VA intended this note to read as follows:

Important: Send a request to the JSRRC for verification of exposure to herbicides when a Veteran claims exposure in Korea, and his/her service was between April 1, 1968, and August 31, 1971, and not in a unit or entity listed in the table above."

http://www.index.va.gov/search/va/view.jsp?FV=http://www.va.gov/vetapp12/Files2/1210719.txt

Of course this called for a remand.

As it says however, VA has a list of those units exposed to AO. 

We will know more when we read the decision.

Folks,

Beyond the buddy statements noted above (I suspect based upon facts provided VA denial was based on veterans' service falling outside of the VA acknowledged use of herbicide agents along the DMZ), worth contacting the National Archives Textual Branch Archives for copy of unit history (I would request information at the company not battalion/brigade level) and National Personnel Records Center for copy of morning reports (submission of SF 180 with the "other" block checked and completed). 

NPRC would also have copy of ancillary personnel records (beyond DD-214) that should provide clear indication of dates in Korea.  As Berta noted, ROs are really not following M21-1 for JSRRC verification for veterans not specifically noted as being proximate to DMZ. 

Seth