VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Should I wait for FDC?

Rate this question

Army57978

Question

I was honorably discharged about 15 years ago and have an injury that occurred in service for which I take medication. The injury itself is not horribly severe but I do require occasional doctor visits and medication. I was unaware the VA would assist in the treatment cost as no one ever told me and I never asked. After reading the forum for the last year or so I decided to pursue a claim so I can stop paying for the medication out of pocket. I initiated a fully developed claim at the e-benefits site about two months ago and have all of my private treatment records. I requested my medical records from the National Archives and was surprised when they arrived in about 4 weeks but unfortunately they were only my entrance records and not my actual medical records. I found out that the records for my period of discharge were somewhere else and I had to fax a form to a location in Georgia requesting the records, which I did a month ago. I followed up with a not very nice lady at the VARMC who informed me that they are working on December and it will be about a year before I have my records.

My question is- from my understanding the intent to file is good for a year but it appears by the time I actually have the records it will be past one year. My injury occurred while in service and is documented in my hospital records so assuming the records are intact I should have a pretty solid case. Should I wait to get the files or go ahead with what I have. I know the consensus is to get the records myself and submit the file all together but I'm afraid if I contacted the wrong place again I will have wasted a year waiting, or if they lost my files somewhere......

Any ideas?

Thanks

• Answers 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

5 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

@Army57978

I agree with Ms T

File the ITF,(Intent to File)

you have a year to actually file for your condition  this gives you some time to put your claim together  and establishes your EED (early effective date)

you can write out in your'' statement in support of claim'' In your lay statement what happen 15 years ago, get the Military Medical Records that document that, you may ask your private Dr to state that its likely as not caused or aggravated by your military service (your condition your claiming) get all your medical records together, 201 file medical records in-service records and go through them with a fine tooth comb  this  includes your C-file (claims file) = request your c-file first thing.

check or call the military hospital that treated you for this injury  they should have  your medical records,  if they don't? ask them where you can get a copy, NRPC  St Louis should know or maybe have them   but the hospital that treated you for the injury is where I would start.  give them the dates and what happen as close as you can...ect,,,ect,,,

If you have medical records that show you had this injury 15 years ago or when ever it happen while in military  and show medical rational the problem your having now   you can get it service connected and possibly rated..Just remember Medical Records Are a Veterans best friend  when filing a claim.

Also as for as your medications  if you haven't yet?

Go to your local Veterans Administration  Medical Center (VAMC) Sign up for your health care,  take your DD-214  Drivers License Birth Certificate, they will take your Pic  and Issue you a VAMC ID Card  with your pic on it  and on the same day you can request to see a Dr (PCP)

After you see the Dr  the Dr will usually prescribe your medications   so take what your taking from the private Dr.... you may have a Co-pay but its small.

After your Service Connected  and rated at 30%  then your no longer required to pay a Co-pay.

so keep all receipts you have from private Dr's Scripts  VA will re-inverse you. 

As for as your claim  just stay on Hadit  ask any questions your heart so desires.

JMO

..................Buck

Edited by Buck52

• HadIt.com Elder

If your year runs out before you get your medical records    request more time  to get your records to help substantiate your claim keep bugging everyone about your medical records ,  even if there not so nice   they know why you need those records.  some times when you call you could get lucky and find  nice lady or gentleman to help you and hopefully find the records you need.

Sorry for the delay but I had trouble remembering my password.

Thank you for the replies.

Ok So I have started the intent to file and have requested the medical file. I have created a file with my lay statement and DD-214 so far but that's it.

If I have never been a VA facility will I have a C-file?

Is there another way to get the files? I remember a family friend going to St. louis to personally get his files when he was doing his retirement from the National Guard.

So you think its possible the hospital at Ft Benning will have my treatment records? That would be great as I assume they would come much faster.

I will try to call the VA again and see if I can get someone willing to help.

Thanks again.

• HadIt.com Elder

I think the best and fastest way is request your records  electronically

via National  Records Personal Archives/NRPC St Louis Mo. 

be sure and state in your FOIA  request for your records  to include any and all records of your military service  to include in- service and all medical records.