VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

NOD for Denial of payment of Emergency Room BIll

Rate this question

amydionne33

Question

I just got a bill for 8k because the va denied paying the visit they actually gave me two reasons for denial because the bills were delegated one being the physicians bill and than the actual emergency room bill. The reason for denial of the 400.00 bill the physician was that it wasn't an emergency, the 8330 bill denial was because they said there was veteran services available at the time. I was actually told to go to the er because they couldn't see me at the local clinic. So how do I get or process this correctly I have no money to pay this kind of bill and it's going to ruin my credit. No one at fee basis will return my calls, called patient advocate, asked my doctor and finally I got this form in the mail. Is this something I am wasting my time with? Do they ever reconsider payment of er bills? 

Thanks in advance 

Amy 

7 hours ago, amydionne33 said:

Andyman73

There are no comments in my record, it was some random nurse that came out and said my doctor was on leave and that they inly see patients normally after two pm on Thursdays. I asked her well what am I suppose to do, and she replied you can go to the the E.R. or drive to Lake Nona which is about 1.5 hours away. I can't even get a call in person from fee basis or patient advocate. The patient advocate just simply sent me this firm to fill out to contest the denial of services. And don't you know I secure messaged my doctor the other day about the same problem that i went to the ER for and the nurse responded as they always do stating that I could always go to the ER or drive to lake Nona and this was during their hours of operation.

Gator Navy,

Yah can I pay you for your help your emotionally a lot stronger than I and I have virtually tried to call fee basis 5 times only once could i leave a voicemail. Than i was told they moved from lake Baldwin to Lake Nona but get this the operator didn't have the new number for fee-basis. All the people I have tried to call to get in touch with this darn department have been useless. Obviously the patient advocate at Lake Baldwin next called me back, and the patient care advocate could only offer me a form to fill out and send out back to fee basis in Orlando. Mind you I have agoraphobia, sever anxiety, and they are doing nothing i mean nothing to help me. I don't even know how to write whats needed for a NOD to be complete. 

Ill pay for someones help I emotionally can't handle this in addition to other things that are going on in my life.

Just trying to help as I come on here to get help as well. My VA PCP nurse has helped me with the ER visits. As long as somone puts a note in your record why you went the bill will get paid. i don't think I would worry about it much. The hospitals know they have to go to the VA to get paid. If they call me I kindly remind them that they need to go to the va. They know the deal. They can't hit your credit because you are not the resonsible party and they know that.

11 hours ago, Andyman73 said:

Thank you so much for your information can always use another angle to attack the VA.

Amy, 

Man, that just throws my whole line of thought right out the window! Hmmm, wait, I got it! I think...okay let's go at it from a different angle.

You can try the contact us option on VA.gov website. It brings up the IRIS, which is the VAs electronic info and question request program. I would say to use the complaint option. 

There will be several drop down options, chose the one the best describes your type of issue. Ya I know, choices are pretty limited. The complaint option goes right to an upper level supervisor or manager type person. 

Exlplain your situation as best as you can, start with the medical issue that you were experiencing that day. Tell about your exchange with the worker that said to go to the ER. Give an overview of your ER visit. Then tell about when you got the bill, how it effected you, emotionally and physically. They need to understand that the VAs lack of action is making you worse.

Finish by going over all the steps you've taken, trying to contact the different offices at the VA and such.

9 hours ago, GatorNavy said:

I have been told by Halifax Hospital and the VA I am responsible for the bill, and have even been told the account is due to go to collections.

Just trying to help as I come on here to get help as well. My VA PCP nurse has helped me with the ER visits. As long as somone puts a note in your record why you went the bill will get paid. i don't think I would worry about it much. The hospitals know they have to go to the VA to get paid. If they call me I kindly remind them that they need to go to the va. They know the deal. They can't hit your credit because you are not the resonsible party and they know that.

Similar subject, Its no wonder that a lot outside Dr's do not want to take veterans.

I was sent to an outside urologist on a consult by my PCP. I had a procedure by this Dr. before. Tri Care set up the appointment on August 2016. I kept the appointment that was 120 miles away. Yesterday they denied payment ???? 

• HadIt.com Elder

amydionne33

Unfortunately the normal thing:

if you never recieved a confirmation letting you go to outside care from the VA Proper Authorities....then your basically responsible with this Medical Bill.

Unless you can have a Dr to state this was an emergency life or death situation and prove you went to the VA for care and was turned away,  if you can prove that  then maybe you will not be responsible for the Bill.

I would suggest to seek an experienced VA Attorney about your situation. check with John Dorle  or an attorney that has a Experienced VA Dr on his team.

This could be a mix up on the VA Part by not confirming the outside care?   if the clinics were all full up and they could not see you within a reasonable amount of time or this condition with you was considered an emergency..if it was then you or someone with you was to call the VA from the emergency room and let them know you were there seeking treatment.  if you/or some one with you made that call then that will get this off your back  so-to speak.

To get a confirmation  the clinic usually calls the veteran and gives him/her an address to a outside medical facility to see you for your condition because  the clinic is full up and impossible to see you for your care....if they told you to go to the VA E.R. and nothing was done at that point and your only option was to seek out side care  then the burden is on you to prove it.

• HadIt.com Elder

Also check with the  outside Hospital where you went and see if there a county run hospital ? if they are  then the county can pay the Bill if your unable to.... check with the Hospital Administrator office.