VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Need new attorny that can help with my claim, any referrals?

Rate this question

sckfox

Question

My current "big name" legal team, seems to have forgotten about my claim and are too busy to return my emails. They've had my C-file for the last 6 months on a slam-dunk PTSD case. Is this a normal experience from those who have gone through this before?

I would appreciate referrals from anyone that's had a positive experience with an Attorney that get my case closed with the VA. Not sure what worse, the stress and effects of PTSD or the relentless grinding trying journey of getting awarded your claim.

Your help is appreciated.

• HadIt.com Elder

The most embarrassing thing in Basketball is a missed Dunk. What you  do with attorneys depends on exactly where you are at on your claim.  If your headed to the BVA and it gets close to the hearing then changing gears will not help you as they still get paid. 

J

If it is indeed a slam dunk, why did you even need an attorney? A legal team and an attorney cannot speed up your claim. Just because you have an attorney does not mean that you can buck the line.

Check out this guy Greg Rada, Veteran turned lawyer.  Takes a hefty fee of 30% of your back pay.  Also, he only takes cases that he believes in since it is on contingency. If you signed any documents with your big legal team, I would think they would have made you sign something in the effect of if they did any work on your claim and you fire them they still get paid.

http://afterservice.com

As it see it, the main benefit of having a VA Benefits Attorney.......(1) they can go into Hearings with known cases of success for the disability being appealed and (2) they know the laws where we don't that can turn an appeal around.  I personally do not have a high regard for lawyers of any kind, but it seems without one the VA knows its legal team can just toy with you and hope you buy the BS and give up! I know some have done well without any legal help, but I will roll with giving up 20% if it means I have a better shot on appeals than acting in my own behalf, or resting my hopes on a useless VSO. 

Edited by Wayne TX

We VA agents and attorneys are, by law, are allowed to charge up to 33% but only for very complex cases. I feel uncomfortable with that and stick with the old 20% figure. If we "substantially prevail" in the clam, we can bill the VA $187.50 an hour for our EAJA fees which do not come out of the Vet's settlement amount. One thing many probably do not know is that VA also duns us $100.00 (handling fee) for withholding the 20-33% .

• HadIt.com Elder

I never used a attorney  but one thing about it if you do...>  for a veteran that has a injury or disease that occurred during your military, no matter how much time has past &...if you can't work or limited in your work because of this   and you hire an attorney to help you with your claim   the 20% is chicken fee even the 33% would be   especially  for younger veterans with a family.

I was no longer able to work at age 47( in public) So I mowed yards (riding mower) to make ends meet..took me 4 years to get my claim award at 90% TDIU P&T  Although I didn't agree with the decision b/c my disability met the criteria for 100%  but I accepted it  I needed some income and during the winter we almost staved to death before I got the IU. My spouse carried the work load for what income we had  and its not fun not being able to support your family and watching your spouse get up every morning  to head out to work  for a small pay check  but at the time that was our only option...made me feel less of a man

if I had known then what I know now  I probably would have hired a VA Agent like Asknod ....those 4 years before my award was probably the worst stressful part of my life.

Edited by Buck52