VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

About Clinical Appointment Visits Concerns?

Rate this question

Buck52

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

When a veteran goes to his Clinical Appointment....example on date 12-7-16

Veteran has a discussion about a medical problem with his VA Dr  or .PA. and is concern rather or not the veteran is thinking bout filing a claim on this condition ( say he don't let the Dr know)  and the Dr discuses his medical problem and states it could be related or aggravated by a S.C. condition the Veteran has...and the Dr has some favorable things to say during this clinical visit during the discussion.

Ok 3 days later the veteran reads his MHV Notes  and what the Dr mention at and during this clinical visit on 12-7-16 is not in the MHV Notes? nothing is mention about the favorable discussion from Dr.  basically the opposite. 

since in some states  its not legal to electronically record a Medical Conversation between Dr and patient

What can a Veteran do to get this correct? can he send the DR Using the MHV (Secured Messages) and request the Dr to make an Amendment to the MHV Notes  about the Discussion they had at the 12-7- 16 Clinical Appointment?

Anybody Know what rights a Veteran has in a situation like this???

Edited by Buck52

It only illegal if you don't tell them you are recording. Since the conversation is about you HIPAA doesn't apply for disclosure of medical records to a third party because you ARE the party. 

Buck,  I would send a secure message to your clinic.  I just had the same thing happen,  I sent my message in yesterday and the notes were corrected today.  I basically went in for my appointment, I have a really bad left ear infection,  to the point I could turn my head and feel fluid sloshing around,  I have a rash all over my back,  I mentioned daily chest pain on exertion, etc,  NONE of that was mentioned in fact,  the notes had "veteran denies" on everything.  I would send in the message,  tell them that nothing you discussed with the doctor is not listed in the notes and ask for them to fix it for accuracy.  

Edited by flores97
Grammar

When I sent my secure message, I was polite but firm,  I said I understand that the provider has a lot of patients however the notes were not accurate at all.  I went on to state everything that I had shown to the provider and that we discussed, and asked for the notes to please be corrected. I checked this morning,  and the provider added an addendum which did confirm everything that she noted at the appointment. 

• HadIt.com Elder

Yes Flores97

I sent it.

I Request Mr ****** P.A.-C

I said Dr   ***** I notice on my MHV Notes that you never put down what you discused with me concerning a S.C. Injury that you mention was  and certainly could be the cause and of this new medical condition

Per our discussion 12-7-16

When I ask you if my new  medical condition could be 50% or greater possibly cause from my S.C. Injury?

I quote you sir,

''Yes this  new condition can be caused  by or a better word would be aggravated by your  S.C. Injury''

Dr *****This statement was not in my healthy vet Notes.

Could you put them in the Notes as soon as you get a chance or at your earliest connivance.  

I need them for Documentation and too keep my medical records Accurate.

Thank You.

The only thing is  what if he denies it...saying what he said to me its his word against mine  and I have no reason to lie or bring this up if he would have put this in the notes like he was suppose to.

As for as recording them during the discusion some say if you let them know their being recording  its ok...I live in Texas  and I'm pretty sure you can't record things like this..but I'm not sure? 

Buck,  I hope he does correct the notes, if he refuses I would go up there and speak to the patient advocate, but I hope he does the right thing!! You asked him very politely so I don't think he'll have a problem fixing it,  I would check tonight,  when the provider does an addendum it shows up immediately,  it doesn't take three days. 

• HadIt.com Elder

Yes I will...I meant it takes the 3 days after you see a VA Doc  for the notes to get in MHV..but on an addendum  yeah it should go in right after he submits it.