VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

About Clinical Appointment Visits Concerns?

Rate this question

Buck52

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

When a veteran goes to his Clinical Appointment....example on date 12-7-16

Veteran has a discussion about a medical problem with his VA Dr  or .PA. and is concern rather or not the veteran is thinking bout filing a claim on this condition ( say he don't let the Dr know)  and the Dr discuses his medical problem and states it could be related or aggravated by a S.C. condition the Veteran has...and the Dr has some favorable things to say during this clinical visit during the discussion.

Ok 3 days later the veteran reads his MHV Notes  and what the Dr mention at and during this clinical visit on 12-7-16 is not in the MHV Notes? nothing is mention about the favorable discussion from Dr.  basically the opposite. 

since in some states  its not legal to electronically record a Medical Conversation between Dr and patient

What can a Veteran do to get this correct? can he send the DR Using the MHV (Secured Messages) and request the Dr to make an Amendment to the MHV Notes  about the Discussion they had at the 12-7- 16 Clinical Appointment?

Anybody Know what rights a Veteran has in a situation like this???

Edited by Buck52

• HadIt.com Elder

flores97

I had an appointment with MH yesterday(Thursday)  so after, I went to the urology clinic  ask the clerk if that PA was in or was he out for vacation or sick call? she said no he is here...I ask her to leave him a message  she took my name last 4,  I ask her to remind him to check his secured message notes   she said she will leave him my message  I needed to ask him some questions concerning my medications and also what we discussed on the date of my clinical appointment with him of date 12-7-16

This was yesterday  so for not a word back  he seems to be avoiding me? or he never recieved my message from the clerk?

frustrating to say the least. eh!!!

• HadIt.com Elder

My Advise if a veteran can't communicate with his/her PCP about his health/medications  or the Dr won't get back to you on any questions about your health,  its time to request another PCP until you find one that has your health at your best interest.

other wise your taking a big big chance with your healthcare. 

Don't be afraid to change Dr's or speak up for your self.

its your life on the line not the VA Dr's

I agree,  Buck,  that's a huge concern of mine as well.  If something happens to me, my older children are in college or about to graduate hs and begin college,  but I have a nine year old and my mother lives with me as well.  I'm going to tell the NP at my appointment next week that all I ask for is accuracy.  Completely leaving out everything the veteran tells them us not only unacceptable, it's unethical.  If something major healthwise develops, they need to be able to look back through our records and see the symptoms we've been experiencing. 

Good grief, sometimes it takes a few days. The Secure Message notes header says that its for general communication and not for urgent issues.

Secure Messaging provides online communication with VHA (Veterans Health Administration).

You can use Secure Messaging to:

• ask non-urgent health-related questions
  • update your VA health care team on your health condition
  • request to schedule, cancel, or change your VA appointment
  • request VA referrals and medication renewals

All VHA facilities use Secure Messaging. You can use Secure Messaging to communicate online with your VA health care teams and other VHA programs and departments. You can expect a response from a member of the team that you contacted within three business days.

46 minutes ago, flores97 said:

I agree,  Buck,  that's a huge concern of mine as well.  If something happens to me, my older children are in college or about to graduate hs and begin college,  but I have a nine year old and my mother lives with me as well.  I'm going to tell the NP at my appointment next week that all I ask for is accuracy.  Completely leaving out everything the veteran tells them us not only unacceptable, it's unethical.  If something major healthwise develops, they need to be able to look back through our records and see the symptoms we've been experiencing. 

Incidentally, when CIGNA requested my VA notes/records for my appeal of loss of LTD benefits, my notes TO my providers (my contentions and questions and updates to them) were included in the notes and were also considered in their initial decision. My SSDI hearing included these notes as well. So, the communication to the VA is noted and considered along with your responses from your providers. They had a record of my contentions and issues, even if there were no responses back to me via Secure Messaging. 

Brokensoldier,  that's a very good point,  and also very true! Buck,  be sure to send in secure messages telling your pcp what symptoms you are experiencing.