VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

New VA amendment re: health care

Rate this question

Berta

Question

This could have severe impacts on vets :

http://www.va.gov/opa/pressrel/pressrelease.cfm?id=2847

In Part:

VA Grants Full Practice Authority to Advance Practice Registered Nurses

Decision Follows Federal Register Notice That Netted More Than 200,000 Comments

WASHINGTON - The Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) today announced that it is amending provider regulations to permit full practice authority to three roles of VA advanced practice registered nurses (APRN) to practice to the full extent of their education, training, and certification, regardless of State restrictions that limit such full practice authority, except for applicable State restrictions on the authority to prescribe and administer controlled substances, when such APRNs are acting within the scope of their VA employment.

“Advanced practice registered nurses are valuable members of VA’s health care system,” said VA Under Secretary for Health Dr. David J. Shulkin. “Amending this regulation increases our capacity to provide timely, efficient, effective and safe primary care, aids VA in making the most efficient use of APRN staff capabilities, and provides a degree of much needed experience to alleviate the current access challenges that are affecting VA.”   

- See more at: http://www.va.gov/opa/pressrel/pressrelease.cfm?id=2847#sthash.BpFyYxsk.dpuf

I havent read it all yet but am curious....

How many members here were part of the 200,000+ commentors?   I sure was one of them.

I have nothing against nurses at all but the fact remains they are NOT doctors.

As a close friend to a nurse that is pursuing this credential I can say with some certainty that their clinical day to day knowledge is often more up to date than a doctor's because the 
AVNP have to go to school more often for continuing education. I have no fear of this at all. Im actually glad for it since in rural areas where I live you can't convince a doctor to come down off his or her pedestal very often to practice, even by remote video, so AVNPs are all you can get. 

• HadIt.com Elder

Well if the ADVANCE R.N. &

VA Grants Full Practice Authority to Advance Practice Registered Nurses ..I would think its a good thing for veterans.

Thanks for this information Ms berta.

Edited by Buck52

Absolutely. AVNP's don't just come out of school that way, like 'hey, lets get a Masters and go teach HS' right off the bat. They have to have practiced in most states before being accepted into an advanced program. They have hundreds or more hours in a specialty. They have at least a Masters Degree. Those few that do not practice find themselves nearly unemployable because a hospital wont hire them as an AVNP with no experience other than school. 

Edited by brokensoldier244th

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

Agree with BrokenSoldier on this.

However, if a nurse is going to go that far, they might as well get a PhD or doctorate.

This is nothing new at my vamc...I've had ARNP's for all my care at my vamc San Francisco, however when I requested approval or second opinion's for my care i always got it from the Physician that's assigned to these ARNP's..