VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Odd DD 214 question

Rate this question

Berta

Question

I am under the impression per M21-1MR Part IV Subpart ii, 1.G.23, that a former POW would have their former POW status on the DD 214, and/or might have a medical discharge because of injuries during confinement.

But their name is not appearing on any Defense Accounting POW/MIA lists as accounted for or even unaccounted for....lists that include service personnel as POW/MIAs in Cambodia...

The spouse ( he died in 2012 but was confined in Cambodian in 1968 -his MOS was LRRP) does get DIC but is seeking info on his POW status.

Would it be odd not to have POW status on his DD 214, even if he was a POW? And not be on the Defense Department list?

2 answers to this question

Geez, this is one reason I never do emails about claims.....

but the email I got on this vet is from a vets advocate and also she has talked with a vet rep, and discussed this with the widow by phone ( which is even worse than trying to help with claims via email) and already the circumstances have changed.

I had a mild bad feeling when the first email said he was LRRP and green beret,then it got worse when I found out he was rescued from POW camp ,injured pretty bad, but  then went back to rescue his buddies.

The VA awarded a wartime pension , not DIC as in first email. There is possibility of AO death however per the email advocate, but

I think this is a case whereby a vet told their family a story that neither they nor the VA could prove.

What I dont understand is why VA is dropping her pension , and he died after the 2010 Nehmer, but they did not consider the AO death in the DIC app??????????

I wasted lots of time this AM searching for him on POW MIA lists, and I bet the VA searched the same lists too. *^&%$#@

Correction from more email,

they changed the pension to DIC recently because they did consider he died from AO presumptive due to service in Vietnam.

The family may find out the whole POW incident was just a story he made up.

I don't advise ever helping with claims by phone or email......hadit is the best place to ask questions and the attachment feature helps us tremendously.

It is easier than ever to learn how to use a PC to get here.Libraries allow free use of their PCs if a vet or survivor does not have a PC.