VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Provision to help veterans who may have been erroneously given a less than honorable discharge from the military

Rate this question

CaravanDan

Question

http://www.peters.senate.gov/newsroom/press-releases/peters-daines-tillis-and-gillibrand-fairness-for-veterans-provision-to-be-signed-into-law

This is great news--But--I believe more could or should be done for Veterans that are severely service connected disabled to get their Compensation while awaiting the BCMR & That would be for the VA Regional Offices to do a NEW “character of service determination.” with the PTSD and or TBI diagnosis and Sexual abuse & Trauma..

Edited by CaravanDan

• Answers 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Thank you to anyone who signed to help make this happen,, My signature is on there,,

http://www.11alive.com/news/investigations/charlie-foxtrot/charlie-foxtrot-fairness-for-veterans/362138515

Edited by CaravanDan
overlap spelling..

• HadIt.com Elder

The sooner a vet can get there discharge in front of a Review Board the better.  The BCMR are not, IMO, vet friendly at all.   The Review boards might grant an upgrade from LTH discharge to General under honorable as long as you don't ask for a pension to go along with it.  I had my General Under Honorable discharge upgraded to an Honorable discharge but this was within a year or 18 month of my discharge back in 1972 when horrible memories of Vietnam were still fresh in minds of the public . Years later I tried to get a medical discharge  alone with a pension and a couple of badges and medals I should have gotten and BCMR was like a Pit Bull that had been starved and beaten and saw me as red meat.  They tore me to shreds.   So the lesson is get your discharge upgraded fast.  My requests were quite reasonable I thought,   but you would have thought I had tried to bugger George Washington with my outrageous demands for a little justice.  We as a nation were better off with a draft army.  Civilians in military uniform have some empathy for average G. I.    Lifers running the military these days have none.  Many are androids that just look like human beings.

• HadIt.com Elder

If I remember correctly

I  recieved my Honorable Discharge  3 years after I ETS.(end of time served)

Actually I was  placed in the reserves another 36 months after I got out Automatically  I never volunteer for it....but never had any drills or any weekend warriors stuff.

After the extra 3 years reserve was completed I received my Honorable Discharge in the Mail.

DD 214 is all I had to prove my discharge after I got out! for three years.  But at that time I had no claims in.

I wanted my DD-214 Corrected After I filed my first claim I notice it was wrong, I won my claim, but always wanted my DD-214 corrected..just so it was correct as to the dates I served and where.

I contacted Army Review Boards in Arlington Va, for correction on dd-214  The dates were wrong  they never had my extended time in Nam.

and also no mention of my Germany service on DD-214.

I requested this be corrected...and sent in what evidence I had, they said that was not enough evidence and denied my request.

I have tried to get records from NARPC in St Louis But had no luck!

NARPC (National Archives Records Personal Center)

I wrote the Director of Army Review Boards and told them I can't get my records from Germany From NARPC so how can I prove my military service from Germany?

I gave them my unit name and location in Germany where I was and close to the dates the best I can remember...and I ask them to find the necessary records to prove I served in Germany on the dates I mention or within the closest dates possible those records should exist.

I just never had or kept any records or itinerary , travel orders ect,,ect,, while I was station in Germany for almost 11 months  Jan  through late November. (or close to those dates)

so no way I can prove my service over there  and the Army Review Boards of military Records correction don't seem to be any help.

I have not heard a word from them in 2 years now.

Anybody have any Ideal how I can get my DD-214 Corrected?????

Edited by Buck52

Buck, did you try using the formal DD 149 as I mentioned here:

http://community.hadit.com/topic/68291-military-records/?page=2

Please note the one of the Branch addresses changed in early 2016.

Best to download the most recent DD 149 on line at google.

Edited by Berta

• HadIt.com Elder

Yes MsBerta

I tried a little bit of everything.

My unit in Nam is non existing now and depleted &  same with my unit in Germany  its non existing  and the U.S.Gov gave the barracks  Known as Tompkins Barracks   back to the German People...I mention that to the ARB  Army review Boards of military Records & still not heard a word back?

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=tompkins+barracks+schwetzingen+germany+address

Edited by Buck52

• HadIt.com Elder

The sooner a vet can get there discharge in front of a Review Board the better.  The BCMR are not, IMO, vet friendly at all.   The Review boards might grant an upgrade from LTH discharge to General under honorable as long as you don't ask for a pension to go along with it.  I had my General Under Honorable discharge upgraded to an Honorable discharge but this was within a year or 18 month of my discharge back in 1972 when horrible memories of Vietnam were still fresh in minds of the public . Years later I tried to get a medical discharge  alone with a pension and a couple of badges and medals I should have gotten and BCMR was like a Pit Bull that had been starved and beaten and saw me as red meat.  They tore me to shreds.   So the lesson is get your discharge upgraded fast.  My requests were quite reasonable I thought,   but you would have thought I had tried to bugger George Washington with my outrageous demands for a little justice.  We as a nation were better off with a draft army.  Civilians in military uniform have some empathy for average G. I.    Lifers running the military these days have none.  Many are androids that just look like human beings.