VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

THAI VIETNAM VETS

Rate this question

KCAC

Question

IN REGARDS TO THE VA RUULES FOR BEING ON THE PERIMETER FOR AO EXPOSURE

U-Tapeo had the huge rec beach directly on the most sensitive perimeter in Thailand, yet they do not want to recognize any off duty airmen being on that perimeter.  Even with hard evidence they deny if your MOS is not some type of security police.  Any Suggestions?  I even left U-Tapeo with serious service connected skin issues in 1973 that resulted in a 10%, later raised to 30% within 12 months but they did not recognize Thai Vets exposed to AO until 2009.  They denied my ischemic heart disease due to my MOS 1065C even though I still had my U-Tapeo Sailing Club card proving I was on the perimeter, plus left with skin conditions that today would be called chloracne but then called dermititus and several other skin terms.

Image result for u-tapao rtafb beach

I recently was asked to be interviewed by a Tampa investigative.TV reporter on the subject, the guy has won National awards.  They are doing a prime time special on WFLA on New Years Eve at 7:30pm.  It is titled "Delay, Deny until they  Die". Steve Andrews is on vacation until the first of the year but know he would like to hear from Vets Nationwide, his brother was a Vietnam Vet.

Here is the link to their site and my short interview-Boy, I have turned into a geezer:lol:  MERRY CHRISTMAS or happy holidays whichever you prefer.

http://wfla.com/2016/12/21/pinellas-veteran-claims-40-year-cover-up-by-u-s-a-f/

Scott

• Answers 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Posted Images

3 answers to this question

I know a bit about Royal Thai posts.

- Presumptive was due to overuse/full strength commercial, not tactical, herbicides. (Although tactical herbicides were used!)

- Verbiage is 'daily duties near perimeter'

- I've heard people have been granted by using FM3-3 p5-5, a 'base plan', and drawing a 500m line (see Korat RTAF example attached), and a legend of where the airman had duty, recreated, was billeted, chow hall, and routes to get between each.

- You will need to go to appeal with this, the VSR is going to be told your DD-214 or rating documents must state you were on the perimeter- absurd because these documents wouldn't record mundane facts such as this.

- Tons and tons of RTAF on internet, and lots and lots of Veterans applying for RTAF presumptive conditions.

Another Route:

I'd hope one service organization could take up RTAF servicemembers willing to go on a roster with posts and dates to write buddy statements:

"I'd observe Airman KCAC pulling daily duty on U-Tapeo RTAF perimeter while I was stationed there. I Knew airman KCAC very well and this is why I recall with specificity ..."

Map_Korat_RTAFB_W500M_Drift_Zone.jpg

Edited by MikeHunt
add 'RTAF' 'perimeter'

Mike,

Thanks for the reply.  I think I am likely to be one of the few Thai Vets that actually had skin issues upon leaving Thailand, that worsened and I see in VA records that I was treated at the base hospital twice within 3 months of returning.  On 8/1/73 I left the USAF and skin issues continued to worsen.  Upon a visit to a dermatologist, he instantly diagnoses as toxic industrial chemical exposure and suggests I contact the VA.  I did and they gave me 10% disability less than 12 months of leaving Thailand for dermatitus and another term.  That was later raised to 30% in 1977 as skin conditions worsened and covered my body.

In 1973 few knew of AO, I do not know if the VA examiners even used the term chloracne then.  But in reading all of the VA's diagnosis' of my skin issues, a lot of terms are terms that could be used in a chloracne or PCT presumptive skin issue.  However, Thai Vets were not eligible to file any AO claim until 2010.  Is there some way to get the 40 year old ratings changed to one of the two skin conditions?  If so, how?  I think the VA in the early AO days went back to check Vietnam Vets who were immediately (within 12 mo) given at least 10% for skin issues and change them to presumptive.  They are not doing this for Thai Vets.

Thanks Again,

Scott

On 12/27/2016 at 7:27 PM, KCAC said:

I think I am likely to be one of the few Thai Vets that actually had skin issues upon leaving Thailand, that worsened and I see in VA records that I was treated at the base hospital twice within 3 months of returning.  On 8/1/73 I left the USAF and skin issues continued to worsen.  Upon a visit to a dermatologist, he instantly diagnoses as toxic industrial chemical exposure and suggests I contact the VA.  I did and they gave me 10% disability less than 12 months of leaving Thailand for dermatitus and another term.  That was later raised to 30% in 1977 as skin conditions worsened and covered my body.

In 1973 few knew of AO, I do not know if the VA examiners even used the term chloracne then.  But in reading all of the VA's diagnosis' of my skin issues, a lot of terms are terms that could be used in a chloracne or PCT presumptive skin issue.  However, Thai Vets were not eligible to file any AO claim until 2010.  Is there some way to get the 40 year old ratings changed to one of the two skin conditions?  If so, how?  I think the VA in the early AO days went back to check Vietnam Vets who were immediately (within 12 mo) given at least 10% for skin issues and change them to presumptive.  They are not doing this for Thai Vets.

Thanks Again,

Scott

Wow! That's a story!

IIRC, the Chloroacne and a few other obscure conditions won't directly open the door to herbicide exposure, only connection for those very conditions- Which sounds like you already have.  Using logic, however, an eight year old could figure you were exposed ... Is the VA as logical as an eight year old?

Your STRs show treatment for an in service event- That is, herbicide exposure. Instead of going for presumptive, ask for direct exposure rating. You avoid them haranguing you over the presumptive language. Get your cong rep involved if they start sending crazy letters- The reporter's story will get their cooperation- The wouldn't want him to say 'Scott was unable to get VA cooperation despite cong Schmedlap's assistance'

Good luck!