VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

I'm Worried About My FDC - NO C&P Exam Offered

Rate this question

chomperjones

Question

so my claim was submitted on 12/12/2016.

I submitted for bipolar/depression (reopen) and tinnitus (new). I sent it in as an FDC with all my evidence.

I checked ebenefits on 12/21/2016 and the status is already showing preparation for decision.

Is this normal? I haven't even gone to a c&p exam, I haven't recieved any correspondences or anything.

For the bipolar depression it is a reopen because when i first filed in 2011, I missed my appointment.

After I missed my appointment, the VA sent me papers (back in 2011) saying that they see that i was treated for depression during active duty. but since i failed to show up to the appointment, it was denied.

So now i've sent a ton of new evidence that supports my claim and they've reopened the case. But does the speed with which this is progressing means that i am being denied?

As noted below, ebennies is showing that the va rep has already made a decision, in less than two weeks. With no exams or anything... What does this mean... Is this normal? have i been denied? Is there a phone number i can call?? im freaking out.

Here's what ebenefits show:

Estimated Completion: 01/24/2017 - 03/04/2017

The Veterans Service Representative has recommended a decision, and is preparing required documents detailing that decision. If more evidence is required, the claim will be sent back in the process for more information or evidence

Its mostly likely denied again or it was automatically sent to rating on accident.  You can call the call center 800-827-1000 but they don't usually tell you anything worth while.  If the RO is nearby I would go in and request a status check.

• HadIt.com Elder

I know there are a lot of Vietnam Veterans walking around out there homeless  or un aware that they have PTSD caused from the Vietnam war. OR JUST TO PROUD TO ADMIT TO  THIS UGLY DISEASE 

it took me years to come forward about my PTSD  I was in Major Denial about telling anyone my behavor is what got me caught  my spouse was just tired of covering for me all these years  and said something to my PCP..My PCP had always thought I had  PTSD by some of my actions during my appointments with her  she sent me TO MH.

If your a Vietnam Vet   although its been a lot of years since Vietnam..if you were there and have behavioral problems contact your local VAC Metal Health Clinic.

1 hour ago, USN_HM_VSR said:

Its hard to say w/o knowing more specifics.  But generally if you file and it goes right to the prep for decision w/o an exam thats not a good thing usually.  Why were you denied the first time around for the Psych?  Did you get an exam the first time?  If so how long ago was the exam? What did you submit as evidence?  For Tinnitus are you S/C for hearing loss?  If so again when was your last compensation exam for Audio?

Well basically,

I started treatment for depression after my second deployment in 2009, I was of course still on active duty.

I got out in 10' and filed 11' - but i missed my appointment (going through a bad downer episode i couldn't get myself to get up.)

In such good manner, the va sends me a paper practically saying hey, we see that you were treated for depression during active duty. And we see that you've been treated after you've separated - however the claim is denied on the grounds that you did not show up to the exam.

Well time went by (and to be unequivocally frank, I was in denial about the depression for years, I really thought I had a grasp on life.... But I didn't,)

In any event, i filed for other issues and unfortunately (because now im a walking bag of sick) but fortunately managed to get 80% primarily for the asthma (which is 60% on its own) and bad acne that was due to an overexposure to jet fuel as a load master.

So the va is well aware of my depression/bipolar issues. Heck i was admitted to the psych ward for 4 days a few months ago in Sept 2016.

So with this new claim, i sent in tons of evidence - new and material evidence to be exact, for the depression bipolar. 

Essentially my depression/bipolar was started/triggered by.... And has worsened overtime because of the asthma, and the stressors i witnessed during AD. (Ofcourse this was much more eloquently laid out and described in my claim.

ALSO, If i may note... I did not file depression/bipolar as a reopen claim. I sent it in as an original claim, but they reclassified it on ebennies, im guessing due to the fact that i sent in such a vast quantity of new and material evidence.

As for the tinnitus, No im not service connected for hearing loss. 

I did get a hearing test about 9 days before i sent in my claim, she said 3 of 4 reflexes were functioning normal (whatever that means) Bilaterally.

My claim for tinnitus was basically that I worked 12+ hours 4-5 days a week for years around jet engines, and heavy machinery.

So im freaking out because its either my new claim was so jam packed with useful evidence that the claim was instantly judged in my favor.

Or they instantly denied me... there's no gray area haha.... I need gray area lol.

Anyway i hope this better explains things... Thanks for the help guys and girls.

Edited by chomperjones

Ok you had in service mental health treatment well that is huge and will greatly increase you chances of gettting service connected.  So all we need to do is to get you to an exam and you should be good to go.

Doesn't matter if you sent it as a original claim if it was previously denied then it will be changed to reopen.

So this is what I would do if it was my claim.  You mh treatment in the service, you were deployed to a combat zone I'm assuming SWA.  Do you have any combat badges or campaign medals?

So to get past this reopen BS and just in case whoever is working on your claim is a jerk decides not to order your exam, I would file a new claim for PTSD.  Because a claim for PTSD is a clam for all MH conditions and its new there is no need for N&M evidence.  All you would do is go to an exam get a diagnosis and a positive direct medical opinion in your favor  related to your MH treatment in the service and you're SC. 

Where was this Audio exam done at VAMC?  The Audio exam you should get no problem.  So that leads me to think that it was accidentally sent to rating or the system can sometimes accidentally kick it to rating.  No most likely not that they would just grant service connection based on what you sent.  When you're initially trying to establish SC you can send in DBQs and medical opinions but the issue is that whoever is doing the DBQs needs access to your electronic claim file.  So when establishing SC majority of the time you will see a VA examiner or contractor.  After that if you're trying to do increases by all means send in a fully completed DBQ.  

I applied FDC on 10/14/16 and on 10/24/16 went to Preparation for Decision with no C&P exam. I submitted private medical records, VA medical records, DBQ, service treatment records, and buddy letters. It is has been in prep for decision since 10/24/16 and the estimated completion date has been pushed back about 3 times. It also skipped gathering and review of evidence so I am guessing they went through all my paperwork in about a week and sent it to prep for decision.

I am concerned since no C&P exam. When I applied for tinnitus, was given a C&P exam and awarded 10%. From what I understand, tinnitus and anything hearing related requires a C&P exam.