VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Rate this question

broncovet

Question

If you want a particlular benefit, such as "Space A" travel, I simply suggest you show up with your id and present it, then shut up, and let the Space A attendee decide if you are eligible or not.  Its not your job to decide if you are eligible..its the space A' attendee's job.  Let him do his job.  

If you look closely at an id card for 100% disabled Vets and retiree's, you notice barely any difference.   Mine says, "Exchange, MWR, Commissary" and the term 

"disabled" is nowhere to be found on my id card.  

IM sorry I dont hear well enough to hear/contribute to the podcast, (which I recommend, by the way), but I will still put in my 2 cents worth.

Sometimes, its better to beg for forgiveness than to ask for permission.  

At my nearby military post, the retiree and the 100% Vet cards are pretty much interchangeable.  I'm often confused for a "retiree".   Remember, the VA does not issue us Tshirts and make mandantory us wear a label "100% disabled Veteran".    Instead, we are free to choose whether to identify as a disabled Veteran, or not disclose, at our option.   Years ago, I went through a state Voc Rehab plan, where they outlined the policy of "to disclose or not disclose" our disability(s).   The bottom line is we choose to who/when we disclose our disabilities.   Our medical records are private.  There are privacy laws, and we are protected.  

My wife used to be a nurse, and they take privacy laws seriously, with a "need to know".  A nurse I dont know, can not legally walk up to me and demand to know my medical history.  However, if she is treating me at a hospital or clinic, she has a need to know my medical background, but even then I get to choose how much I disclose.   My wife was prohibited (under threat of being fired) of discussing medical conditions UNLESS the patient gave the "ok"..go ahead and talk to them about it.   Can you see that our medical records are private, and we need not disclose unless we choose?  

In a similar way, I need not list my disabilities, medical records, dates of treatment, etc., with the "Space A" attendee.  I hand them my id card, and it speaks for itself.  Now, I dont recommend fraud.  No.   We have been issued this ID card, and I let the person reading it do their job..that is, to see if I qualify or not.  I dont answer "health questions" to the Space A attendee, as he is not treating me, and need not know my medical history, and I do not have to disclose my disability percentage, or other health details, unless I so choose.  

We dont have to disclose the last time we had sex, our list of disabilitis, if any, our doctor's name, or the list of meds we take.   Before I could get a handicap placcard, (good to park in a handicap zone in my state), I asked my doctor (as I have it documented that I have severe degenerative arthritis of the knees, NOT currently sc for knees)

Based on this, I simply recommend you "show up" with your id card, and request military space a travel.  This technique (assuming I qualify, and let them tell me no) works with almost everything on base.  I have been issued this id card in a proper manner, going through the channels.  I am not required to disclose my disabilities, but may do so at my soul discretion and, to the degree that I choose.  A space A attendee does not have a "need to know" my health history or list of disabilities, if any.  

For eligibility for benefits that are exclusively for 100% disabled Vets only, the VA has a letter.  It does not say you are 10% for hearing loss, 10% for tinnitus, and it does not say whether or not you have ED.  It simply states whether or not you are 100% p and t.  When I print the letter, I get to choose whether or not I include 

"special monthly compensation"  or not.  This is a good idea.  THERE may be cases when a Veteran may choose to disclose SMC awarded, at what level, such as it someone was applying for a loan and needed all the income he could get to qualify.  That may be an instance where I would consider disclosing SMC's, but, generally, its none of their business what disabilities I have.  If they try to press, I will say something like:

"Very well, you want all my medical details to decide if I get on this plane.  I have presented my id card as proof, and this was apparently insufficient for you.  Before I give more details about myself, I need to verify who you are.  Please give me your credit card number, pin code, expiration date, mother's maiden name, place of birth, ssn, and bank routing numbers, and then, after verification, I will disclose my full medical record.  In the interim, I gave you my proof with my ID, so let me on the darn plane.  

All this said, I do think the policy should be implemented which allows disabled Vets to use Space A.  However, the military, like VA, has someone there interpreting his rules, and people do things differently.  The military, like VA, is not a unified body, where everyone does everything the same.  I say you hand them your id card, and answer as few a questions as possible about your health as well as your years of service.  (That is, whether you are retired, disabled, medically retired, Coast guard retired, contractor eligible, etc, etc, etc.)  

Edited by broncovet

I dont recommend lying, ever, but you dont have to disclose everything.  

"Oh, gee, you are a space A attendee, good.  Please take a look at these hemmorrhoids and tell me how you think I should treat them, since you seem to want to know my health history, you obviously have a need to know.   Or, you can just look over my id card, instead, as doctors have already examined and treated me, and permitted this card to be issued."  

(By the way, I dont say this, but if they got too personal, I can shoot back at their violation of my privacy, as my medical records are private.)   

Edited by broncovet

Bronc, you got me looking, my (DD Form 27650) DOD ID card says, Expiration date INDEF. Status/Grade DAVPRM/E3, Authorized Patronage Exhange MWR Commissary. At the very bottom of the card it states, 'Identification and Privilege Card."

What does your card indicate in the STATUS box?

After some of the horror stories a  AF Lifer friend has told about flying Military, I think I'd stick with commercial.

Semper Fi

Mine says the same thing.  It says "indefinate" expiration date, but it does NOT state I'm disabled, even tho I had to have a disability letter from VA to get this.  

I really think this is about privacy laws, and we do NOT have to have our medical records printed on T shirts for everyone to view.  

We have the rights and priveledges afforded to most retiree's.  My card even says, "MWR, commissary, Exchange" , like yours.  Its the same as a retiree.  

What's it say in the STATUS Box? How old's your DOD ID card?

Mine was issued 09/14 after a DRO IU T & P Award.

Semper Fi

My DOD card says the same as Gastone, It also says Service/Organization USN/. Plus my SS number is on the card.

Edited by babyray
wrong word

• HadIt.com Elder

Mine says the same as Gastone,

USA  INDEF  only in the  statue box it says  DAVPRM/E5 Exchange ....MWR Commissary

DAVPRM means disable veteran permanent /rank when ETS

other side

Date of Issue

2003 D EC 23  Medical  Direct :No  Civillan No

DATE OF BIRTH WEIGHT/HEIGHT/ HAIR COLOR EYES COLOR

property of US Government. 

Mine has a BAR CODE STRIP ACROSS THE TOP?

I always figured US ARMY  Means= Uncle Sam   Ain't Released Me Yet...eh!

Edited by Buck52