VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Lung cancer, COPD, Agent Orange

Rate this question

JDMilw

Question

In March of this year I was diagnosed with lung cancer and received a rating of 100% agent orange presumptive.

I underwent radiation treatments and the latest CT/PET scans show no evidence of active cancer.

VA is currently in the process of reevaluating my rating.  I had a pulmonary function test and didn't do too well.  They diagnosed severe COPD.

FEV1 30-49%.

I quit smoking 3 years ago.

What are the chances I will receive a permanent rating for this?  And will there be a residual rating on the lung cancer?

My rating for prostate cancer went from 100% down to 10% after successful treatment.

Thanks for the input.

• Answers 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

What's your current combined SC's? You mentioned the reduction to 10% for the Prostate Cancer, you have a Temporary 100% for the Lung Cancer, what else?

You were a Jar Head in Nam, did you receive a CAR, a Heart or Bronze with V? Your MOS was?

This is just my take right now, will have to wait for your response. I see the possible following Awards. Tinnitus 10%, ED secondary to Prostate Cancer (SMC K), possible CAD issues-AO, Hypertension-AO (future Presumptive) and last but not least PTSD.

Did you retire from the USPS due strictly to your Lung Cancer? I see a very probable IU T & P No Future Exams Award with a possible now or in the future SMC S (1) Statutory Housebound Award.

Semper Fi

As Mrs B pointed out previously, your Lung cancer is an AO Presumptive, I stand corrected.

What will be very informative and interesting to see, is how the VA Rates your Lung Cancer, once it's considered Removed and in Remission.

I kinda stand by my initial response regarding the fact that once you have a DX of any type of Cancer, the medical Profession considers any type of New Cancer as being linked to your original Cancer, in your case Prostate Cancer. Will the VA assign a separate 10% SC or Combine it with the Prostate Rating?

A good friend of mine underwent Radiation Therapy for Prostate Cancer about 4 yrs ago. Was Cancer free until about 6 mos ago, when he was DX'd with Bone, Lymph, and Bladder Cancer Stage 4. Their all considered as Metastasis of his Prostate Cancer, even though he almost made it to 5 yrs in remission.

Semper Fi

I was with E/2/7 late 69-70.  Que Son Valley.  Purple heart.

Prior to the lung cancer diagnosis I was combined 40%.

Not sure if they consider the LC is a result of the PC.  Also had colon cancer in '98 which is not orange presumptive.

I received temp 100% for the PC which was reduced to 10% when my PSA dropped to .05.  Receiving SMC(K) as well.

I retired in May of this year as a result of the LC diagnosis.  I had planned to  go in July anyway but the cancer kind of sped things up.

I'm due for more scans next month. 

I have no idea when I may receive the rating letter.  eBenefits says between 1/31/17 and sometime in March I believe.  All documents are submitted and the VA rep has made a recommendation.

All your Med Records are with your VMC and the RO Rating Dept.

I would very strongly advise that you immediately, as in today, File on your E-Ben site an FDC for IU (Individual Un-employability).

This IU FDC will have no affect on your current Rating Decisions, as far as slowing anything down. It may even speed things up, if you get any mention of an "Inferred IU" listed in your next Rating Decision.

Semper Fi

PH, Que Son ( is that near Quang Tre?)

Obvious a PH is a stressor.

Is PTSD part of your rating? Are you rated at all for any PH residuals?

Could the PH residuals have aggravated any of the conditions you now have?

If you dont want to tell us what the 40% is for that is OK.

But Gastone and I think alike on a lot of this stuff.He asked some good questions.

A good friend of mine ( Army Blackhorse Vietnam) had 2 PHs. He was rated properly for them but denied PTSD.......( I worked with PTSD vets since 1984 so I knew he had PTSD but he would not file a claim)

Finally he did. It went fast, PTSD diagnosis and 50% SC for PTSD.

On the other hand my deceased husband ( USMC Danang 65-66) was rated 30% by VA in 1983.

They tried to reduce the rating to 10% when he started working for the VA.I prepared his NOD and they reversed when they adjudicated it.A few months before he died he applied for a higher rating and TDIU.

Three years later the VA awarded posthumously,100% P & T for SC PTSD and gave him a very favorable EED , the same date of his SSDI PTSD award. That is they gave it to me....he was dead almost 3 years by then. He should have seen that award in his lifetime.

PTSD has no cure and often gets worse with time.

I have a 30% rating for depressive neurosis.  I've been taking anti-depressants for years.  I see a VA counselor several times a year.

The other 10% is for the PC.

I expect my temp 100% to be reduced.  Not sure how it will be rated or whether or not the COPD will have any effect on the rating.

The PH was for rpg shrapnel wounds and not real serious. The corpsman picked out some pieces, bandaged me up and I was on my way.

All things considered I have been blessed to survive these things.  Not bitter or worried about things I can't control.