VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Is my c -file (claims file) online ?

Rate this question

handicappednotdisabled

Question

No, eBenefits does not keep a copy of your file for your review. You can request a copy by submitting VA Form 21-4138 Statement in Support of Claim. Don't need any fancy language. Just request a copy of your claims folder.

Actually, Kgosi, with VBMS, your claims file is on line now. You just need a VA attorney or agent with access to the database. He/she would need your VA 21-22a and a POA on file to access it. You can give a partial POA for them to view the c-file without giving them permission to represent you. I'm in the process of getting approval for access to do so. They do a CBI on you and you have to do the security training "school". Then they issue you a va.gov email address to use. You have to use an isolated, designated computer for this all by itself. Lots of rules but who cares? Real time access to a c-file is important. What if they didn't get your N&ME you filed last week? You can see the up-to-date record instantly 24 hours a day. They might even have this on eBenefits by 2036. 

• HadIt.com Elder

''Real time Access to a c-file is Important''   I agree.

& If its just for that veteran only C-File (which I assume it is)

If they make it view-able to a VA Attorney or Agent as POA with access to the database ... why not make it view-able to the Veteran? I mean after all its his C-FILE.

Simply because so many Veterans can't afford Attorney or give some retro to the attorney or Agent and  not to mention the veteran can find records  he/she needs to speed up his/her claim when they work their claim them self  this would save a lot of time and hopefully speed up the backlog.

In my Opinion the Veteran C-file should be in his e benefits & updated regularly  LIKE YESTERDAY!

Yes.  My attorney informed me a few months ago, that they now let attorney's have the same access that used to be reserved for VSO's.  She got certified, and has access to my entire cfile.  

The crazy part is that a Vet does NOT have access to his cfile online.  That is nuts.  Its probably unconstitutional.  You see, we have a RIGHT to representation, guaranteed by the US constitution.  To extend that a bit, if you elect to proceed Pro Se, it simply does not fit that you can not see your own cfile, but if you are represented by an attorney or VSO, he or she gets to see your cfile.  

Having representation is a RIGHT which we may decline.  I am not required to have representation, but I have a right to it.  For that reason, I would like NVLSP sue VA to get online access to ANY VET who so elects.  (Of course, for security reasons, a Vet who chooses to see his cfile on line would probably have to go through the same steps required of a VSO or attorney.

The attorney having online access to our files is rather new.  It was once reserved for VSO's and VA employees only.  I bet attornies had to fight VA for access.  

• HadIt.com Elder

Ain't that the truth broncovet!

I did a FOIA request for my c-file in 2013 and I got a paper copy in the mail 3 months later.

I just did another request in Oct, 16.  Nothing yet, says 2018-2019.  LOL.

Anyway, you'd think it would be quicker now that they come on a cd.

When I left the Army in 2008, they had just put everything online.  They had a copy of everything to include some docs I didn't know existed.  Like a promotion I had not received.  Too late to bitch now.

But,

Hamslice