VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

VA Disabled Vet 80% Combined Rating

Rate this question

murpman42

Question

Hi, I am new here, I recently was awarded 70% for mental health issues which is secondary to my service connected disabilities and was previously rated at 40%, now combined rating of 80%.

Each of the my service connected disabilities total 40% - 10% each. I won't detail them out, no need.

Since I was medically discharged from the Army rated at 10% in 2005, I have had 7 jobs and have more and more issues with each one since I started them.

My longest job I have had was my first job out of the Army and it was working for my father-in-law, who retired after 5 years working from him. I had issues there, like I quit and went back to work for him twice because of communication problems and other issues dealing with him treating me like a child.

I have difficulty remembering things due to meds and it causes a great deal of issues at work meetings where I have to ask several times to repeat what was said either during the meeting or after the meeting. The other issue i have is being able to be attentive enough to be wary of what is going on since I do not sleep very well due to sleep apnea and I am in the process of filing a claim for that now.

Can I claim TDIU in regards to my disability ratings, I am 40% service connected disabilities with an additional 70% secondary mental health rating, combined rating at 80%?

Why do some vets call it IU and some call it TDIU? Is this the same thing?

Last question - when does a vet qualify for an id card with medical coverage for dependents? If I was granted TDIU at 100% would I be granted medical coverage for my dependents?

If you get a 100% P & T award the family is eligible for CHAMPVA and Chapter 35 DEA educational benefits.

I have both and they are wonderful. There are often some additional benefits as well.

By all means file the TDIU claim ...same as IU ...VA form 21-8940.

Do you get SSDI and is it solely for the SCs? If so that award is good evidence for TDIU.

Or if VA Voc Rehab ever turned you down solely due to your SCs.

1 hour ago, Berta said:

If you get a 100% P & T award the family is eligible for CHAMPVA and Chapter 35 DEA educational benefits.

I have both and they are wonderful. There are often some additional benefits as well.

By all means file the TDIU claim ...same as IU ...VA form 21-8940.

Do you get SSDI and is it solely for the SCs? If so that award is good evidence for TDIU.

Or if VA Voc Rehab ever turned you down solely due to your SCs.

Berta laid it out perfect.  She is one of the most, if not the most insightful at Hadit.  I recommend using SSDI and VR&E to support your claim for TDIU P&T.  Have your spouse assist you with this task.  The best document to support your claim will always be a Doctor's  Medical Opinion.  Preferably a VA doctor A.K.A Mental Health.  Should you receive TDIU P&T be sure to not become a 22 statistic.  STAY BUSY!! Good Luck!

Berta,

So based on my current disability rating I can file for TDIU, because it specifically requires certain criteria in order to file and be approved?

I am meeting with my VA mental health professional next month (earliest appt I could get) to discuss my issues. 

Thanks for your advice.

Edited by murpman42

murpman42,

While we're waiting for Berta to comment, let me say that it's been my observation that when TDIU is filed for mental conditions ALONE, more times than not, if it's awarded, it will be temporary TDIU.

Also to qualify, at least one of your service connected disabilities has to be 40% or more; there is however a complicated exception to this rule, which is a case-by-case basis.

I am 80% - 10% for four different things, then 70% for mental health condition related to my knee injury.

My question at this point could I qualify based on the above. I am having a lot of difficulty working while on my meds for pain and depression.

My job requires a lot of meetings that also require taking notes and it is hard to remember things.

As far as being "qualified" to apply for TDIU, yes you are. Your total combine 80%, plus  at least ONE condition being MORE than 40%, meet the requirements.

Of course if you have dependents who need medical care, you would want the Permanent rating, otherwise the Temporary rating holds the same benefits MINUS "goodies" for dependents.

Money is the same, PX/BX privileges are the same....etc.