VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Won Claim But Withheld Back Pay

Rate this question

wablackwell

Question

Hello, I wondering if I could pick your brains on what is going on here. Well the Good news I s I did win My Claim for PTSD awarded 100% P&T. This was effective as of 25 Sept 2015. But what I can not figure out is that the VA withheld $457.91 starting 1 Oct 2015 and then it changed to $459.73 Starting 1 Dec 2016  until 1 Jan 2017. I don not really understand why they withheld this money but I think it might have to do that I retired from the military. But if that is the case, Should withheld since I was over the 50% rating wich automatically qualify for CRCD( Concurrent Retirement Disability Pay ). Any Input on what is going on would be appreciated. Thanks Bill

award letter 001.jpg

Something seems wrong.

Here is the pay chart info from DFAS:

https://www.dfas.mil/retiredmilitary/disability/comparison.html

It sounds like CRDP but you might be eligible for CRSC instead, if the PTSD is combat related.

CRDP is taxable if you are also collecting retired pay from DOD. Back pay takes awhile. VA requests DOD to do an audit. After this the VA does their audit. For easy ones this is 30-60 days. CRSC has to be requested. Do your homework well. You can collect retirement + CRDP or retirement + CRSC but you can't collect CRDP and CRSC for the same afflictions. There are scenarios where you get less money if you elect CRSC over CRDP. I was awarded CRDP along with my retirement in Oct. I'm still waiting for retro. The DOD audit went to VA on Dec 28. I heard that it depends on how busy your regional office is.