VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Champva as non-medical Retired Reserve

Rate this question

afMonkey

Question

After submitting a NOD, I received notification today that my benefits were changed to P&T with Champva and Chapter 35 entitlements.
Everything I read states if your dependents are Tricare eligible, the don't qualify for Champva.

I'm scheduled to retire from the Reserves this spring (regular retirement). Ultimately that makes me eligible for Tricare Retired Reserve at $1013.36 per month until age 60. I've had SSDI for the last 18 months. I understand that I'll be automatically enrolled in Medicare part A & B at the 24 month mark.  Medicare part B will automatically enroll me into Tricare for Life (service member only from my understanding). 

Will my dependents qualify for Champva or will that benefit be lost because I have the option of paying for Tricare Retired Reserve? Can I even have two versions of Tricare at the same time? ( Tricare Retired Reserve and Tricare for Life)

Thanks!

afM

• Answers 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

"After submitting a NOD, I received notification today that my benefits were changed to P&T with Champva and Chapter 35 entitlements.
Everything I read states if your dependents are Tricare eligible, the don't qualify for Champva."

That is my understanding too.

I am stuck on the "after the NOD" part. 

Did they make an error in the original decision?

If so what was the error?

"I'm scheduled to retire from the Reserves this spring (regular retirement). Ultimately that makes me eligible for Tricare Retired Reserve at $1013.36 per month until age 60. I've had SSDI for the last 18 months. I understand that I'll be automatically enrolled in Medicare part A & B at the 24 month mark.  Medicare part B will automatically enroll me into Tricare for Life (service member only from my understanding). "

Maybe the CHAMPVA is temporary until you formally retire...I dont know....Do you have an updated TRICARE Book? Mine is old.

"I've had SSDI for the last 18 months"

If the SSDI was solely for the  100% P & T you have now,maybe that is why your NOD succeeded in changing your benefits,beause they didnt consider that when they denied?

You stated "Tricare for Life 

(service member only from my understanding)." 

That is different from what I understand.

A good friend of mine is USN Retired Commander 4 years active, then 28 years Reserves and I am 100% sure his wife is on his Tricare for her medical needs.But I dont know if she will need to apply for Medicare Part A and B when she is 65.And I dont know if he has to pay for her med care someway via Tricare.

I will ask him.

Thank you.

I was awarded VA 90% back in June 2016, although I wasn't P&T initially.  I filled the notice of disagreement requesting that my main condition be rated as static due to length of condition and documentation. That was approved recently.  I had SSDI about a year before the initial VA compensation was awarded. 

One more question....was the award for 100% or for TDIU?

well 2 questions ...you stated  "regular retirement "

How long have you been in the reserves?

Here is another question...

Is your reserve command aware of the VA award letter?

Others need to chime in here.....

Would a SC award ( I dont know yet if this is 100% or TDIU) affect this reservist's "regular retirement" in the spring?

He also gets SSDI ....... ????????

Edited by Berta

My friend replied:

"Berta..

…to start with…

www.tricare.mil/tfl

and /or   

www.TRICARE4u.com

1866.773 0404

There is a lot more to this, and I would that his reserve center should have someone available in medical who can direct.

It does change also when they turn 65."

He had to run , he works at the VA..........he did not understand the VA Award part......and just called me on that and he suggested the best thing you can do is to contact someone or  command at your Reserve 

Center to explain how the VA compensation will affect your reserve status......I assume you are not active reservist.....no drills, non deployable etc etc.....

Others will chime in.....

It's an extremely long story, but yes I'm an actively drilling reservist although for points only (no pay, due to VA comp). I'm not deployable etc. Some reason AFRC/SG though it would benefit me to hit 20 year retirement vs medical retirement. They returned me back to duty with three unfitting conditions. Sounded good in theory, but issues like this Tricare/Champva are proving the opposite.  

Thanks again,