VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Combined Ratings Bog!

Rate this question

AJones

Question

Dear Brother and Sister Vets,

Please help settle this.  I just had a heated discussion about what a total rating should be. The Vet is 40,30,30,30,20,10,10,10. The rating was 80% until recently when the 3 10% were determined but the benefit would remain at 80%. That is incorrect and I encouraged the Vet to file a NoD and ask them to recalculate because the rating now adds up to 90%.  Using the combined ratings table,  I got 84% before the 10%s,  adding one by one -not 30%- the total rating is 88 then round to 90%. What do you come up with? I did it manually and with the Hadit calculator. Same damn answer. The naysayer said that once the Vet gets to 80%, the 10%s don't count! They said there is some super secret formula that we don't know about. The combined ratings tables are just what "They" want us to see. Oh Brother! Please add the ratings and tell me what you get according to the info available from the VA: The Combined Ratings table. Thank You!

Thank you Hamslice, I've never encountered or heard of the VA's count being off and I've been a Vet advocate since before I retired in 2005. This has me stumped because I don't know how to advice the Vet on where she should bring this.

Rated Disabilities   Total Combined Disability

You have a 80% final degree of disability. This percentage determines the amount of benefit pay you will receive.

Disability

Rating

Decision

Related To

Effective Date

diabetes mellitus (Type II)

20%

Service Connected

09/09/2004

gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD)

0%

Service Connected

09/09/2004

status post removal of the uterus

30%

Service Connected

11/01/2010

uterine fibroids

30%

Service Connected

08/10/2006

tinea versicolor

30%

Service Connected

01/11/2012

degenerative arthritis of the lumbar spine

40%

Service Connected

05/12/2011

left hip osteoarthritis (impairment of thigh) (previously claimed as pain/bursitis) 

10%

Service Connected

07/29/2015

left hip osteoarthritis (limitation of flexion) 

0%

Service Connected

07/29/2015

radiculopathy, right lower extremity 

10%

Service Connected

07/29/2015

radiculopathy, left lower extremity 

10%

Service Connected

07/29/2015

left hip osteoarthritis (limitation of extension) 

0%

Service Connected

07/29/2015

residuals, bilateral breast reduction, with scarring

0%

Service Connected

02/22/2005

bikini line scarring, residual of C-section, appendectomy and abdominoplasty

0%

Service Connected

02/22/2005

residuals, cholecystectomy, with scarring (claimed as scar, residual of gallbladder)

0%

Service Connected

09/09/2004

Rated Disabilities.docx

Edited by AJones
added doc

AJones

Here is my best guess.  One of the 30's is not being counted, why I am not smart enough to tell you.  Maybe pyramiding?

Anyway, the vet had 80 before the 3-10's.  40+30=58+30=71+20=77 which rounded = 80, leaving one 30 out of the calculation.

Ad the 3-10's and you get 40+30=58+30=71+20=77+10=79+10=81+10=83 which rounded = 80, again, leaving one 30 out of the calculation.

Thats my first guess.

Also, I think you may have some bilaterals related to the lower extremities, i.e., left and right, etc.

Anyway, a call to the VA to get the correct scoop is needed.

And, I do not have any experience of how they list the disabilities on ebenefits when you have pyramiding.  I think maybe they list them as you have the disabilities and each are rated, however they only count the higher number.  Maybe someone with pyramiding can opine.  I have no experience in that regards.

FWIW,

Hamslice

Thank you Hamslice. Either way there is a mistake. I don't know about pyramiding. I would think the VA would inform the Vet if this method was used in the calc. I appreciate your input. The total by the numbers rounds to 90%. When this is resolved, I'll post it. ??

UPDATE!!! I took Hamslices advise and dialed the 800 #, explained the situation and got a remedy for the Vet. The rep calculated 90% -88% rounded up- and sent the request for correction. Also the Bilateral factor is at play, thanks for pointing that out Andyman73. Thanks everyone for all the advice and input. 

Much Respect,

AJones