VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Calling all Cardiologists

Rate this question

Carl the Engineer

Question

All,

Just was looking at my disabilities on eBenefits.  In 2016 I did a new claim for heart disease as I was service connected for hypertension in 2008 and after a lot of reading and looking at my old med records it appeared to me that I probably had heart disease back in 08 and should have claimed it then but I was just a Soldier back then and not a doctor like I pretend to be know.  LOL.  Here is what is posted regards my heart in eBenefits currently;

hypertension..................................................................................................................................0% Service Connedted 08/19/2008

>tricuspid regurgitation (also claimed as heart disease).................................................................Not Service Connected

>hypertensive heart disease (also claimed as concentric left ventricular hypertrophy).................30% Service Connected 05/10/2016

Now in my med records I have/had evidence of LVH (enlarged left ventricle) and subsequenlty was granted the 30% secondary to HBP accordingly.  Now also in my med records was tricuspid regurgitation on at least 3 ECG's from active service.  Now my question is not that I think I should get more comp for the tricuspid regurgitation, as probably the heart disease trumps that, but why not Service Connected at 0%.

I don't understand the "Not Service Connected".  Seems the same evidence proves both?

My hypertension is SC'd at 0% because it is controlled by meds which is correct.  FWIW.

Anyway, just wondering,

Hamslice

• Answers 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

5 answers to this question

Hamslice,

Reading your post got me wondering...I filed for hypertension back in '14, but was denied. Said due to being DX'd 11 years after EAS, no way to connect to service.  And STRs show both high and normal readings.  I guess that means the 3 day hypertension test, where the overall average bp reading was high, for a healthy 20-21 year old male, not enough evidence to link it.  That 3 day test was done in 1994, 20 years before I filed the claim. 

Andy

Andy,

My mistake was when I got out I looked at what ailed me and I saw that I had high blood pressure, so I claimed high blood pressure.  What I know now (from Broncovet, I beleive) I should have claimed heart disease.  Then I should have gotten LVH and hypertension from the start.

In other words, let the VA do the work.

My last claim, I claimed left anke/foot pain problem.  The VA investigated both my ankle and foot and I got SC'd for one thing and I did get some info for further areas to proceed.

I think if you have a injured hand and you claim your ring finger, they are only going to look at your ring finger.  Whereas if you you claim your hand they have to look at everything, etc.

Just saying,

Hamslice

Hamslice,

When I claimed my feet, I wrote foot pain to include plantar fasciitis, which then was granted as pes cavus(claw foot) w/plantar fasciitis, bilaterally, at 30%.

I do agree with you about not guiding them too much towards whatever your claimed issues are. 

Andy

Hamslice, my husband had mitral  and tricuspid regurgitation, and applied for disability secondary to diabetes.  He was denied then.   I kept asking his dr if he had ihd.  He said no.  But they never did catherization scan until just before he went in to have the aortic valve replaced.  They found cad in upper left branch off the aorta artery.  I’m going to check with his surgeon on how long he thinks he had the ihd.   He had his and has been taking meds for awhile.  I pulled up his servic medical records and he had to have a three day check in 1987, where he had high readings all three days.  He was in the navy and boots on ground .  Had an eight yr break and enlisted in the USCG.  He had high blood pressure then.  They chalked in up to being nerves.  

They reopened that claim in 09 and sent it for nehemer to look at.  We were not notified that it had been reopened.   I saw it on ebenefits.   They still left it denied.  

Then in 13 is when the replaced the aortic valve and found the ihd.  He has let hytrophy.  I like his cardio guy, but he acts like he does not like it when you ask for copy’s of records.  I did have to pay one time for them.  Now that claim shows reopened on ebenefits.  And again we have not been notified.  

If you go on board of veteran appeals site and click decisions.  You can just type in aortic valve.  I have pulled up claims that says aortic valve fits the definition of ihd.    Maybe their is hope here.  I’m going to push it too.

There are two separate topics here involving this reply:

You stated:

They reopened that claim in 09 and sent it for nehemer to look at.  We were not notified that it had been reopened.   I saw it on ebenefits.   They still left it denied.  

In the older post you posted on recently

https://community.hadit.com/topic/43672-ihd-va-definition-and/#gsc.tab=0

you stated:

“They found he had ihd in left branch just Dow from the aortic valve.  So they rated him at 60 %. “

(Sept 2016)

Was part of that rating for SC IHD?

Gastone asked a good question in the other post you made in the other thread.......

As a Navy and CG vet what put him under Nehmer? ( Boots on ground-incountry Vietnam)

Is the Diabetes rating for AO DMII?

Edited by Berta