VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Trump names new VA Sec

Rate this question

Berta

Question

David Shulkin

https://www.va.gov/opa/bios/bio_shulkin.asp

Shulkin is the Undersecretary of the VA now.....as far as I know.    It is an unexpected pick to me......

Unless the David Shulkin I googled is someone else.....

• HadIt.com Elder

Never heard of him?

but maybe its good to get someone new to the system?....lets just hope  the system don't swallow him up too!...I'm thinking if he messes up...President Elect will not have a problem firing him.

Be interesting to see what His first changes will be with VA.

Edited by Buck52

David Shulkin resigned from a position where he makes 1.3 million per year in the private sector, to head up the VA where he will earn $170,000 per year, according to wikipedia.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Shulkin

Also, according to Wikipedia,  Dr. Shulkin has written 25 peer-reviewed journal articles, and numerous other professional publications.

Based on what I read, we are very lucky to get him as VASEC, as it will cost him more than $1million per year to come to work for VA.  (Do the math, he will be taking a 1.1 million per year pay cut.)

While, like others, I like the idea of a Veteran heading up the VA, Im excited about our new VASEC.  

Of course, we heard greath things about past VASEC's and they did not pan out, so, "we shall see, we shall see."

This being said, it would appear that Mr. Shulkin was overqualifed for the job and took it, not because he needed a job, but, hopefully, to help Vets.  

Correction: Berta is correct, as  Mr. Shulkin quit a job (apparently) in 2015 at 1.3 million to work for VA where he was undersecretary of health.  He was confirmed in 2015 as undersecretary where he headed up VA MEDICAL.  Now, he will apparently get a promotion to VASEC.   Sometimes doctors make great leaders, and sometimes they should stick to medical things.  We shall see which category Dr. Shulkin is in.  Still, even tho some good things happened under secretary MacDonald, I am glad to see the change as there are still things not right in the VA.  He headed up a couple hospitals, so maybe he can get some more doctors at VA, as we seem to need them.   

Edited by broncovet
correction

• HadIt.com Elder

Well hell  now we know he not any good in math! especially VA Math...duh!!!

From what I have been reading is that anyone worth a grain of salt did not want the job because they see it as a big mess.  And Trump did not want the political hacks that wanted it.

Don't know enough about this new guy to comment.

Time will tell,

Hamslice

Edited by Hamslice
spelling