VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

What does this mean on an old Rating Decision?

Rate this question

KCAC

Question

I am a Thai only Vietnam Vet, currently with an appeal on the BVA docket. I have until mid March to file additional evidence.  I have evidence of being on the perimeter of a Thai base, which makes a Thai Vet potentially eligible of herbicide exposure and filed a Fast Track claim for IHD on 6/16/2011.  It received a fast denial saying my MOS did not require me to be on the perimeter, even though the perimeter of U-Tapeo included a large resort style beach rec center for all base personnel.  I have hard evidence I was on that beach off duty. They also denied I had ISD even though I had my first heart attack in the 90's and since have had 3 stints and a quad bypass which continues to get worse.

I left U-Tapeo with skin issues, and soon left the USAF. The skin issues were documented in USAF medical records, which the VA acknowledges in the original rating.. The skin issues got worse and I received a 10% disability within 12 months of leaving Thailand.  I think this is additional evidence I need to submit  for a herbicide claim.  The skin issues got much worse and was raised to 30% 3 years later as I had various skin issues ongoing, including blisters on my face worsened by sun, which seems consistant with chloracne and PCT. Hyperhidrosis is also associated with Dioxin expsoure.  The skin issues were immediately diagnoised by a civilian dermatologist in 1973 as exposure to toxic industrial chemicals.  He referred me to the VA, where the Dr performing my exam agreed it looked like toxic exposure but can see no where that is mentioned. Everything cleared up completely by 1980, my dermatologist said that proved it was toxic exposure otherwise all of the various skin issues which even included psoriasis would not just all suddenly clear up.  He did say, the fact it lasted 7 years proved something very toxic involved. However, none of these old personal medical records remain, since the USAF and the VA denied herbicides were used in Thailand until 2010..

Can someone tell me what this means at the bottom of the 1974 form 21-6796 (RATING DECISION FORM) from my original 10% rating?  And shouldn't this be submitted as evidence?  As I doubt they will dig deeply and pick this on on their own. Many Thanks

1. SC 38 USC 310 (INC VE)

7899-7817 10% from 8/2/1973

DERMATITUS HANDS, FEET, FACE AND HYPERHYDROSIS OF BOTH HANDS WITH SLIGHT DISQUAMATIOM

handwritten beside this is "C-010%

Edited by KCAC
correction

• Answers 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

2 answers to this question

It's a tally of the calculated total- In this case 10%.

If it were a rating sheet that had several ratings- Say 60% for amputation and 10% hearing, whomever would have to calculate the 'VA Math'; C-60% in our example:

Hadit calc

And, yes- submit it. The VA is super hot to deny Royal Thai claims- as you are seeing.

Be prepared.

The 1974 rating decision is part of your claims folder - you were granted service connection on a direct basis for your skin issues (that's what the "INC" means). 

You could send in a statement indicating that you believe the timing of the onset of your skin issues and symptoms are consistent with chloracne (a presumptive condition), but since the only evidence you're providing amounts to "well I remember back in 1973 my doctor said..." and this doesn't sound overly convincing. If you were referred to a VAMC in the 1970s, hardcopy records, barring accident, will remain. Identify the location of the VAMC and the VA will attempt to retrieve the records, if they exist.

Bottom-line - they already have your old rating decision. Being rated for a skin disorder in 1973 does not definitively prove that you worked on the perimeter of a RTAFB. The denial based on MOS comes from MOS data provided to the VA from DoD - they are not allowed to deviate from this list simply because you believe the list is incorrect. Whatever your "hard evidence" of perimeter service is will be much more probative (i.e. persuasive), unless it's just a picture of you standing next to a fence in who-knows-where. More difficult to obtain, but better evidence comes from people who served with you who can provide accompanying "buddy statements" indicating service with you along the perimeter of the base.