VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Vet caught for a bit of exaggerated claim

Rate this question

MikeHunt

Question

I known sometimes when the VA starts being unfair, it's just human nature to counter with the same. Sounds like she went a bit too far ...

http://www.actionnewsjax.com/news/local/trip-to-disney-world-helps-unravel-army-veterans-300000-disability-fraud-officials-say/484846225

Never heard of them doing this, though. Never a good idea to talk to investigators, even if you have nothing to hide

It does not say what the diagnosis was, or if it involved the shoulder, the elbow, etc.  But, even if it was BOTH the shoulder and the elbow, I find it hard to believe that 100% would be awarded absent an x ray or mri documentation, without some major hankey pankey at the Regional Office:   

Here is an example of a joint disorder rating:

5003 Arthritis, degenerative (hypertrophic or osteoarthritis):  
Degenerative arthritis established by X-ray findings will be rated on the basis of limitation of motion under the appropriate diagnostic codes for the specific joint or joints involved (DC 5200 etc.). When however, the limitation of motion of the specific joint or joints involved is noncompensable under the appropriate diagnostic codes, a rating of 10 pct is for application for each such major joint or group of minor joints affected by limitation of motion, to be combined, not added under diagnostic code 5003. Limitation of motion must be objectively confirmed by findings such as swelling, muscle spasm, or satisfactory evidence of painful motion. In the absence of limitation of motion, rate as below:  
With X-ray evidence of involvement of 2 or more major joints or 2 or more minor joint groups, with occasional incapacitating exacerbations 20
With X-ray evidence of involvement of 2 or more major joints or 2 or more minor joint groups 10
Note (1): The 20 pct and 10 pct ratings based on X-ray findings, above, will not be combined with ratings based on limitation of motion.  
Note (2): The 20 pct and 10 pct ratings based on X-ray findings, above, will not be utilized in rating conditions listed under diagnostic codes 5013 to 5024, inclusive.

Based on this, absent x ray evidence, I dont see how she could possbly be rated above 20 percent.  

Edited by broncovet

VA Forensic PTSD C & P Psychiatrist's call over-reporting of symptoms, evidence of  "Malingering." Once branded a Malingerer, that cloud will follow a Vet forever and be considered in any future Claim Filing.

Semper Fi

When things like this happen, it can involve more than just the VA IG:

“This case was investigated by the United States Department of Veterans Affairs – Office of Inspector General, the Social Security Administration - Office of the Inspector General, and the U.S. Department Health and Human Services – Office of Inspector General. It is being prosecuted by Assistant United States Attorney Jason Mehta..”

https://www.justice.gov/usao-mdfl/pr/jury-finds-army-veteran-guilty-theft-nearly-300000-and-making-false-statement

The VA might have received a tip from someone, and that might have caused the investigation.

Or maybe the vet received SSDI and that award was fraudulent, and then used for VA comp....?

I am happy to have been here as Tbird developed this Great site 20 years ago!

But I used to have my contact info here years ago and was asked in email to commit fraud once,by a member (buddy statement) and then also asked by a disgruntled ex-wife member to report her TDIU husband to the VA IG , saying he was also working.

Of course there is no way I would get involved with either of those situations.

But I did report someone to the US CAVC once.They reached me via the older SVR radio show.

That was a fraud situation too.I emailed the Judge's clerk my evidence and the case was dismissed right away. 

And we all know of the Keith Roberts imprisonment.

He had three buddy statements. For some reason the VAIG investigated him, contacted the buddies, and they gave a different story than their statements revealed…..and there was more to it than that.

During the past 20 years the VA IG investigated our site and the few other vet sites on the web then.

They were looking to see if we were in anyway influencing PTSD vets to act certain ways at C & P exams.

No one at any site they investigated was doing that.

VA claims are built on truth. That is also how they succeed.

That goes for the VA as well. I have multiple documented lies on VA letterhead, lies that they thought would deny my claims….and that did just that  , until I fought back.

I am just surprised  that it took them so long to catch this vet but we don’t know the whole story.

Hamslice, I thing the vet might have been award TDIU or something because they might have had a fraudulent SSDI award.....as the SSA was involved in this indictment, and it is a lot of money but TDIU or 100 comp awards in a good couple of years could reach close to a 1/4 of a million. 

A vet I helped got a retro just shy of 1/4 million and this was years ago....also another vet I helped at hadit got well over 250,000...actually I think it was closer to 300,000 or more...

The vet indicted had a documented  inservice injury and might have filed within one year after her discharge, and then somehow manipulated the injury into TDIU or 100%...I am just guessing but when people get creative about trying to scam a system, (like the non vet who was trying to scam the VARO and the CAVC who  I reported) they will do anything they can think of ,to perpetrate and continue the scam.

15 hours ago, MikeHunt said:

I known sometimes when the VA starts being unfair, it's just human nature to counter with the same. Sounds like she went a bit too far ...

http://www.actionnewsjax.com/news/local/trip-to-disney-world-helps-unravel-army-veterans-300000-disability-fraud-officials-say/484846225

Never heard of them doing this, though. Never a good idea to talk to investigators, even if you have nothing to hide

MikeHunt,  I wonder why and how the govt started to investigate that veteran in the first place. 

Edited by wilspeak