VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

C&P Exam scheduled in different state

Rate this question

Navyguy2013

Question

I just got notification of a C&P exam I have been waiting on since 2013.

It is scheduled in a different state from where I live. Driving time to this location is just under 4 hours.

That's one way, round trip driving is about 8 hours. We have plenty of medical and VA locations much closer that that to me. 

Is this normal for C&P exams?

4 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

You can call 1-800# and request the C&P nearest to your Home but you need to do this at least 7 days before your schedule C&P, IF you don't contact them I would suggest you go to this C&P other wise it will slow your claim down or they can deny your claim for not showing up for the Scheduled C&P.

You will get travel pay at 42 1/2 cents a mile both ways.

Missing a C&P is a bad thing with the VA.

I had the same issue its because your regional office is over booked and to get you a decision they pay your mileage to drive crazy far to get you an appointment sooner. That's how it was explained to me when I had to drive 3 hours one way but it granted me TDIU so I assume it will be worth the trip.

The locations nearer to you may not have the capacity or the doctors required to complete your examinations. The scheduled facility is determined by an algorithm that picks the closest facility to you (VA or contractor) that has the capacity to conduct all of your exams (so you don't end up traveling twice).

Calling to request a closer facility is an option, but if they don't have capacity, they can't create more doctors from thin air for your convenience. If you don't want to travel to your free exam (and be reimbursed for your mileage), you're more than welcome to print the necessary examinations yourself from the forms site and have your own doctor(s) complete them and provide medical opinions, if necessary, assuming the exams you need are available to the general public. Without knowing what your exam(s) are for, it's impossible to advise you further.