VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

New rules for SAH grants, anyone know how to do this?

Hi, Sorry if this is the wrong area to post. Mods, please move if needed. Hubby got the grant for SAH a few years back. Now, it appears he also qualifies for the other grant of around 15k, for loss of use of hands. Plus the initial grant has increased. We had to go in debt to abide by the VA regs. Since then, have noticed a few things done literally backwards, like the doors opening the wrong way and making it harder to navigate.  Has anyone used both grants since this is a new thing, at least to me? If so, any help on how to proceed would be greatly appreciated. The one time we tried to use the grant increase it turned into an 18 month saga. He simply doesn't have that much time. The last time we had asked for a security fence which was denied, then approved after 18 months. By that time, we just had the money paid on what we owed. We did a partial security fence with our money, but since the neighbors have a german shepherd now that seems intent on climbing their chain link fence to get to us, hoping to use the money to extend what we had built. And to correct building  mistakes made the first time. 

My sincere apology for the rambling. He now has nighttime dementia and we are both sleep deprived.

All the best to everyone! Thank you Gastone for your down to earth and honest reply. I think I may have even misinterpreted the article I had read. My  heart just keeps saying...........give Jimmy something to look forward to. My mind knows what I considered is not doable. Please remember Jimmy in your prayers! Love all of you!!!!!!!!

Edited by TiredVeteran
multiple errors, can not find reply button

Are you using the VA IL (Independent Living Program) administered by the VA Vocational Rehabilitation Dept? If so, what does your IL Counselor have to say?

Give some thought to contacting your City's Animal Control Dept about the neighbor's dog.

Seems like just about all VA Benefit Programs, take an inordinate amount of time. In the end, we have to remember, this is the Federal Govt that we're dealing with.

Good Luck

Semper Fi

Important Information

Guidelines and Terms of Use