VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Call from D.C

Rate this question

vet90

Question

Hi-

Can someone help me with VA math? First condition fibromyalgia Increased from 20 - 40% and IBS increased from 10 - 30%. I just received a call the Office of Case Management in D.C.regarding my EED of 2009 for both conditions. Award was processed yesterday and when I asked Ms. K.S. the amount of award she says $4,650. I'm experiencing mixed emotions here. Gratitude and shock. I'm grateful for the $$ and the fact that someone reached out to me inspite of it being Trumps inauguration day but I'm also shocked because I was figuring it would be more since the EED is 2009. 

I questioned Ms. K.S about the amount and she said it was rated based on all my combined s/c conditions, which doesn't make since because only two conditions were increased with EED of 2009. Ms. K.S. also said she also see that they received my appeal in 2016 and anything prior to that was handled through my local regional office in St. Pete. She also said that she doesn't see a decision on the migraines and respiratory conditions on appeal. So she's sending it back to the VLJ because those issues were overlooked. She ensured me that I will hear from her again once everything is finalized. I'm still blown about the $4.650 retro though. Thanks for the feedback.

• Answers 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

3 answers to this question

Congratulations!  Retro is a little hard to figure, in part because the amount changes every year where there is a COLA increase.  (We did not get a Cola for 3 years during the Obama Administration).  

A frequent mistake Vets make is that they often figure one month extra of retro, because your pay begins on the first day of the month FOLLOWING your effective date.  So, if your effective date was Feb 1, 2009, your pay would not begin (or increas) unti March 1, 2009.  

You also, of course, have to subtract any pay already received.  That is, your 30 percent pay will be deducted, and you will get the difference between 30 percent and 60 percent.  

Finally, you have to adjust for dependents, such as a divorce, or a child who turns 18 and they automatically drop off.  

Vet,

Congratulations, and as stated above Retro at times is not as much as we think. I helped a Vet that go retro to 1992 last year and it was only 11K. A Win is a Win, and the SC is the hardest to get. Remember once granted you can always put in a claim for an increase. Good luck, and hope all is well. God Bless