VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ole buddy!

Rate this question

cbpritchard

Question

Good evening everyone!

So I am asking for tips and advice from you fine people regarding obtaining "buddy statements" regarding a incident that happened while I was active duty. Long story short, we were visiting NTC in fall of 2004 when I was involved in a chemical spill that included diesel fuel which had been contaminatd with dry sweep, paint thinner, and kerosine. 
Anyways due to reasons I did not know my team was ordered to have the vehicle up and running for the 2 weeks in, I was the one went under and like I said kind of a long story.

When the incident occurred there were three soldiers present, myself a NCO from vehicles squad and a squad member to help me. It was aprox 4 to 6 weeks post incident that I began having the start of medical problems. My unit deployed, and I was put on rear D for treatment and subseqently medically discharged. I was young and did not have the knowledge then to press for statements by those in my team about the vehicle. 

I have located 4 of my team members from that trip to NTC, 2 of them are NCO's and have told me they would give a buddy statement the other two apparently don't use facebook much :unsure:. But I asked him to simply not lie, I don't need anything but the truth from these folks, but 2 months after incident they were deploying so it is blurry. I have not recieved anything from either of the two, but hopefully if i press slightly they will send it. The soldier who witnessed me under the fuel tank when it blew(depressurized) is no where to be found. What could I do to try and find this guy?

Thanks for any and all help.

Edited by cbpritchard
insert

• Answers 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

"The soldier who witnessed me under the fuel tank when it blew(depressurized) is no where to be found. What could I do to try and find this guy?"

Did the NCOs remember his name?

Have you searched for a unit web site ? Many Unit sites have reunion rosters and forums.

"My unit deployed, and I was put on rear D for treatment and subseqently medically discharged"

Was all that due directly to the incident?

Do you have a copy of your SMRs and service personnel records?

What disability are you claiming due to this chem spill accident?

Berta,

The incident is most defininatly my nexus, I never had any consistant medical issues before exposure. Nearly 4-6 weeks post exposure my life was completely different, been that way since only other issues have risen. I have the soldiers full name, as well as his wifes name. A friend who works side by side with a recruiter can't even locate him, I have already searched the Units facebook site, as well as the Military.com page for my former unit. 

He was without a doubt, a very very reclusive guy to begin with. The biggest problem IMO(will know more when lawyer gets C-file) is the fact the Military never focued on the chemical incident as being a factor in the conditions. Although while going through the medboard I seen 2 in service Drs, and a hand full of outside medical Drs. The outside medical doctors without a doubt contributed my dramatic sudden onset of symptoms to be directly related to direct chemical exposures. But the Army Docs, didn't and my med board and orignial VA compensation is based non related to the chemical. Due to the circumstances its like it is just hear-say that it even happened, which is where the buddy statements could come into the fold. So far those are easier said that done to get to!

The diesel fuel enough is harmful, but this fuel was sabotaged with drysweep which is made to absorb other fuilds, kerosine, and paint thinner. Was suppose to be fully emptyed from vehicles tank before I touched it but was not, and we were orderd to work on it. I remember it like it was yesterday, otheres however its still fuzzy.

What disability are you claiming as caused by the fuel incident?

"Although while going through the medboard I seen 2 in service Drs, and a hand full of outside medical Drs. The outside medical doctors without a doubt contributed my dramatic sudden onset of symptoms to be directly related to direct chemical exposures. But the Army Docs, didn't and my med board and orignial VA compensation is based non related to the chemical."

What disability were you MEBbed out for?

What documentation do you have from the "outside doctors" who contributed your symptoms to the incident?

"will know more when lawyer gets C-file"

Meaning the claim was denied.?

Do you have your complete SMRs (and Med Board stuff) and your inservice personnel file?

Edited by Berta

The Lawyer I have contracted with is in the process of ordering and reviewing all my files.
Just had a appointment with my VA practictioner and he said that it made sense , chemical intoxication normally affects three places commonly. 
Nervous system, Intestinal, Respitory -  He even said it made very good sense how someone became symptomatic right afterwards.
I have came to the initial conclusion that the "NCOs" who I made contact with have became afraid that they will be drug into some sort of legal mess if they do a buddy statement. They have been radio silent for a couple weeks now.
:wacko:

Getting fuel dumped on you in service  is NOT a nexus.  I need to correct you on this, as it may confuse you.  

Getting fuel dumped on you (depressurized) is an "in service event".  

A nexus is a statement by a doctor which says something close to:  The VEterans (medical diagnosis) is "at least as likely as not" due to fuel getting dumped on him while in milatary service.  

Dont confuse nexus with in service event.  They are not the same thing, but both are required for service connection.  Only a doctor or medical professional can provide you with a nexus.  You need to order your medical file, read it, and see if the doc said your diagnosis was at least as likely as not due to an event in service.  

The doctor can not provide an in service event, as your military service is over.  However, a doctor you saw in the military may have documented your "in service event", if you saw a doctor about it.  

Yes, a buddy of yours can supply a letter which may document the "in service event".  Your buddy can not diagnose you, but he can say:

"Gee, yea,  I saw that.  He got jet fuel dumped all over him, head to toe, and I asked him to take a shower as he smelled like gas"...or something of that nature.  It does not take a doctor to smell gas.  Your buddy can testify that he saw fuel dumped on you.  He can not say, for example, that the gas which got dumped on you caused your diabetes. He is unlikely to be qualified to diagnose diabetes.  

Edited by broncovet