VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Do I risk loosing my VA benefits if I get a medical marijuana card>

Rate this question

MKAH

Question

Hello,

I live in California where medical and recreation MJ is legal at the state level.  It is of course, no secrete the the Federal government has a dramatically different opinion and the VA is Federal.

Last year I spent nearly five months in lockup BICU units, residential PTSD, hospitals and SIPU inpatient PTSD hospitals, across the country where I have been treated for PTSD-MST.  In spite of the treatment and the many many medications the VA has tried and continues to try, I continue to have substantial mental health problems and am almost completely  housebound.  Naturally, it is a helpless feeling each day being drugged ,looking out the window wondering what is the next step for me.

It recently occurred to me that possibly, using very low doses of edible medical marijuana may help to give me some relief from my ptsd?  After researching the topic, I am thinking CBD rather than THC as I do not want to be stoned, just relaxed and less panicky when leaving the house for groceries and other routine tasks.  I believe edible is the better choice for me since I do not want to stink of reefer, and would prefer a more gradual onset and longer medication period of the medicine.  Most certainly, trying different products and dosages will be key.

I am terrified to ask my VA Psychiatrist because I do not want any reference to this matter being published in my health care record.

For now, this is just a research project where I'll be weighing the pros and cons for some time.

My question is, do I run the risk of loosing my VA benefits (60% SC Disabled) if I get a medical marijuana card?

Thanks in advance

• HadIt.com Elder

All part of DEA's war on drugs for the last almost 50 years.   If alcohol prohibition had lasted 50 years Al Capone would have become Prez. of the United States except for his brain rot from VD.   If you fight a war for 50 years and the only result is 2.5 million people incarcerated and 20 million more lose their civil rights is that  "Victory".   The capitalists that run Amerika believe that drug takers won't work hard like good alcoholics until their livers fail.  The real fear of drugs is the fear that population would rather get high than work for minimum wage.  The failed Drug War has produced millions of jobs including all those prisons and guards and cops who fill their days locking up people with tiny bags of cocaine or heroin instead of offering them some sort of decent life.  Once you become addicted you have a disease that is hard to cure, but it does not good to lock people up since people have been using opiates for 5000 years and many consider it a wonder substance.  Having had an operation I am grateful morphine exists.