VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

VA Nursing Home/CLC care info

Rate this question

Berta

Question

VA Nursing Home, CLC info

Our local Bath VAMC has both CLC, and a Nursing home in addition to a Dom and this subject came up recently when I was there. It is a good idea to consider these types of care now for many of us and to see how we might eventually fit into the eligibility requirements…if any type of long term care is ever needed.

https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/veterans-eligibility-va-nursing-home-care.html

In part:

“Priority Groups

The VA is required to provide nursing home care to any veteran who:

·         needs nursing home care because of a service-connected disability

·         has a combined disability rating of 70% or more, or

·         has a disability rating of at least 60% and is:

o    deemed unemployable, or

o    has been rated permanently and totally disabled.

Other veterans in need of nursing care will be provided services if resources are available after the above groups are taken care of.”

And more here:

https://www.va.gov/GERIATRICS/Guide/LongTermCare/Paying_for_Long_Term_Care.asp

I am aware of situations that can arise, whereby the veteran might have been eligible for a VA Nursing Home, under “other veterans” criteria above, then find that they are no longer legally qualified to be there. This means to me that some of those “other” veterans might have never filed a VA claim, or never asked for a higher rating and would have to depend on their spouses to help to do that….if in fact they do have potential service connected disabilities that could raise to the criteria above.

The VA nursing homes have availability concerns and this also is a factor.

In 1992 the VA was so negligent that they told me my husband would never walk again and after a battle to get him OT he did walk. They had wanted me to get him into some nursing home but said he was not qualified to be at the local Bath VAMC Nursing home because his SC was only at 30% at that time (with 2 claims pending)

The result of the 30% claim was 100% P & T with an EED of Nov 1991.

So he was in fact qualified for their Nursing Home VA care locally ,but since VA managed to drag out his claim, ……that 100% P & T award came 3 years after he died.

This is one more reason the VA backlog has to be reduced.

The VA wanted him to stay in a wheel chair because they didn’t want him to recover.

They told me this “he will never walk again” bull shit about 3 weeks before he was discharged and there was no way I could get a ramp and the bathroom prepared for a wheel chair.

After a big battle with the bastards, I got him into the Physical therapy program. One day the VA OT Therapist called me up and said ‘Mrs. Simmons, your husband is in excruciating pain (his limbs had atrophied during the weeks of misdiagnosis), but he never complains and he has been an excellent candidate for OT.We are going to get him to be able to walk 3 feet without falling down and if he can do that he can come home’!

He did it! I pulled in close to the ambulance from Syracuse VA, at Bath, close enough for him to walk 3 feet into the car. The nurse and driver stood by in case he fell but within a few weeks he was up and walking more ..not quite normally ( he also had PN and PAD) but good enough to get my Honey back home!

This is funny. We were worried about the steps to the house…I live higher than my drive way and my neighbor said they would bring their front end loader right over and get him up the slope to the highest part of the deck near the front door. But my husband crawled up the slope instead and practiced walking in a narrow hall way every day but mainly crawled a lot until he regained his balance.

One night he crawled to the bathroom and back and I didn’t hear him until he suddenly rested his head at the foot of our bed ,shined a flashlight on himself and said “Here’s Johnny” like Jack Nicholson did in the “Shining”,when he was starting to chop down the door to kill his wife!

One thing my husband never lost was his sense of humor.

As I mentioned on the radio show, it is because of him that I learned so much about DIC, accrued, AO and sadly all about VA malpractice ,but he sure didn’t die in vain if any of that knowledge has helped any vet here or their survivor.

The Nursing Home criteria for VA ( which I do not ever expect to change) is something every vet and their spouse should be aware of, and one more reason to get the highest SC ratings you can get.

• Answers 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

1 answer to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

Great Post Ms berta

sure something to think long and hard about before that time comes.