VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Request advice about a upcoming Sleep Apnea C & P exam.

Rate this question

wilspeak

Question

Hello everyone, I have an upcoming  Sleep Apnea C & P exam on Feb.  21  2017. I filed a Sleep Apnea claim based on being (0%) for sleep apnea with a CPAP machine. The new claim is sleep apnea with a CPAP machine related to and /or service-connected (PTSD, Lumbar spine, right nerve sciatic, Both feet conditions, Both ankle conditions, both knee conditions, Weight gain/ obesity and decreased activity.) The VA called me and told that a C & P Doctor will be conducting my exam on Feb.21, 2017. The VA operator told me and left a voice mail message that I didn't have to show at this exam and that the  C & P Doctor May or May Not call me. Can anyone please give me some advice in this matter. I would appreciate any advice. Thank You in advance. 

Edited by wilspeak

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

Pertinent details are missing from this post. 

You state that you are already service-connected for sleep apnea at 0%. Why are you now claiming service connection for it again under an alternate basis which...looks like it amounts to "my musculoskeletal conditions make it hard to exercise and I decided not to eat less, got fat, and now I have sleep apnea." Unless you have some kind of endocrine disorder that makes it impossible for you to lose weight, it's much more likely that your obesity is the result of excessive caloric intake rather than simple inability to do the exercises you used to.

If you are already service-connected, you're filing a claim for increased evaluation. If you have questions about your upcoming exam (like whether you have to be there or not), call the operator back and ask. If you don't have to show up, the examiner is likely using your medical records to perform an "Acceptable Clinical Evidence" or ACE examination, where the doctor will complete the examination based on evidence in your medical records (i.e. sleep apnea with a CPAP is a 50% evaluation - if your medical records already say you have a CPAP, there's no real need to make you sit in the waiting room for half an hour to tell the doctor what he/she already knows). 

If you are not already service-connected for this condition, but the CPAP is in your medical records, and the operator indicates you do not need to show up for the exam, it's likely still going to be an ACE process exam, as the examiner can give a medical opinion based on what's shown in your service treatment records (STRs), VAMC records, and whatever testimony you submitted with your claim.

Hello rhoe, I didn't personally do the claim. An organization called Vet Comp and Pen did this new claim for me. This NEW claim is Sleep Apnea with CPAP RELATED TO AND /OR said above conditions. The old original claim which I did was just a plain Sleep Apnea claim. 

I just called the VA and spoke to the receptionist and I Strongly Requested that I  be allowed to attend my C/P EXAMINATION.  The receptionist then made my appointment to be there in person on Feb.21, 2017 at 12 noon at the  VA. The thing that I didn't like is, she stated that I requested not to be at the C/P exam and said that it was placed in my Medical records that I stated that I requested not to be at the C/P Exam which is not true. I am now considering reporting this to the patient advocate because it looks to me like they were trying to trick me into not showing up for this important examination. Can you please send me the C/P prep materials? and would it be ok for me to mention to the Doctor that I am service connected for migraines and I take medication for migraines and that the migraines affect my sleeping patterns?  They called me and stated that I wasn't required to show for the exam. Please tell other veterans NOT to fall for that (no show trick).       Thank you . Here is a link to the Organization who did my Claim >>>>>>Vet Comp and Pen ::: https://www.vetcompandpen.com/

I mean, you can show up if you want to, but like I mentioned in my previous post, if they already have the medical records showing you have a CPAP for this, your presence is largely unnecessary and it's just a waste of your time. If you're SC for sleep apnea at 0% already, the CPAP by itself will get you up to 50%. You don't need to tell the doctor that you use one if it's already in your records, as he/she will review them as part of the exam process. 

The odds are much more likely that they're trying to save both you and the doctor some time rather than it being a conspiracy to keep you from your exam, as neither the receptionist nor the doctor really benefits either way.

rhoe

Hello, rhoe

I just received the appt letter from the VA. The Letter stated that they received a ( 2507 request ) for me. The 2507 request is asking for a Medical Opinion regarding my Sleep Apnea. The letter also stated that it isn't necessary for me to be at that appt on that day (BUT I do plan on being there that day). That Letter was sent by the C&P special exams coordinator.  What is your opinion about this letter?