• Topics

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    Mack1212

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
    • Buck, a good friend (69) of mine just got the Bad News that his Prostate Cancer (Treated with radiation) back in late 2008/09, which had resurfaced with elevated PSA Readings of 10, in early 14 and had been treated with Hormone Replacement Therapy (Estrogen Shots with all the side affects) has now Metastasized to his Bones. Starting Chemo next week, prognosis, not the best. The primary reason he didn't have the Prostate/Seminal Vessel Removal Surgery, was fear of incontinence & ED. Not sure about the incontinence but I know he had trouble all along with ED. A Nam Vet buddy of mine, long time ED DX, swears by the "Pump." Be very careful regarding any Hormone Replacement Therapy. What was your last PSA reading? Semper Fi  
    • So far, no back pay has come in. We downloaded his benefits form and this is what it states:  Gross Benefit Amount:  836.13 Net amount paid:  0.00 Effective date: Sept. 01, 2016 Combined Evaluation:  50 percent His case closed on 9/22/2016. We are a little confused on the effective date. He submitted his claim some time in June, 2016.  That included a form from his sleep study done with the VA while active duty that stated he had severe sleep apnea. So he already had a diagnosis on file from active duty. He was not issued a machine at that time though. About a month ago he was asked to do another sleep study so they could adjust settings on cpap/bipap machine to issue it to him. He did that and picked up his Bipap machine about 2 weeks ago.  Would that have anything to do with his effective date being later than when he filed? He did already have a service related rating of 0% related to heart problems that he will be appealing later on ( one thing at a time right now).  So the sleep apnea was the only open case.  Can anyone let me know when he should be expecting his pay to start and also, because of the effective date.. would he be getting backpay? Thank you!
    • This examiner wasn't even a Dr.!!! She was a RN.  As far as the decision on my hip, I never even had a C&P for it. The rater just denied me even though i had my PCP write me a letter stating the the hip DJD was more than likely because of a documented auto accident i had while in service! I'm going to NOD on both the back because of the conflicting evidence from the C&P nurse and the rater and the hip because of the letter and the auto accident in my service medical records!  
    • Congrats. Way to hang in there.  Good luck to you and yours.  
    • This is wonderful news! But you are right-money cannot really ever compensate trauma and the term "in harm's way" can involve many horrible situations in service.( or even at the VAMCs-as I well know) I hope you have some sort of peace and closure to this ,FN and that you can enjoy this victory and true recognition of what you went through. And please don't hesitate to help others with similar claims. Encouragement goes a long way and your award is an encouragement to others,even regardless of the type of claim they have , with the VA. Nothing is impossible.     

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
KennyJ

Can Sleep Apnea Be Secondary To Depression

12 posts in this topic

I have an 80% overall rating and 70 % for Depression.

I have been diagnosed with Sleep Apnea. Can this be secondary to Depression and is it hard to prove. I have put in for TDIU so should I just wait on filing for Sleep apnea.

There's a lot of information on the internet that supports depression as a secondary effect of sleep apnea, but I can't find much the other way around. Is it possible you had the apnea before you first realized you suffered from depression?

If it were me, and it's not, obviously.......I'd go ahead and file for the sleep apnea, so's you can establish the "effective date". Otherwise, you're scruing yerself out of some money.

And, yes, it can be a result of depression.

I suffer from Bi-polar Disorder ( and that could be, BTW, where your "depression" is coming from ) and sometimes I've got what they call "combination", where you will have some of the effects of the mania and some of the effects of the depression. Soooo, I'll be so depressed that I can't sleep, then, when I do manage to fall asleep, the mania kicks in, and, bingo, I'm awake for hours, then the depression flares up and I can't sleep for worrying about ________, and I finally get so exhausted that I fall asleep and the mania kicks in and I'm swinging from the chandelier.................and.......well, you get the picture.

Had a period in my life where I wanted to be "normal", like everybody else.

So, I did some serious "self-medicating". Me and Old Jack, my buddy from Lynchburg, TN, we go to know each other purty good..................

Then I grew up and realized that all you "normal" folks are just as screwed up as me.....sometimes more so.

:)

There's a lot of information on the internet that supports depression as a secondary effect of sleep apnea, but I can't find much the other way around. Is it possible you had the apnea before you first realized you suffered from depression?

Follow up on this 2003 study:

"Contact: Michelle Brandt

mbrandt@stanford.edu

Stanford University Medical Center

Sleep apnea, depression linked in Stanford study

STANFORD, Calif. - People with depression are five times more likely to have a breathing-related sleep disorder than non-depressed people, according to a study at the Stanford University School of Medicine. The study is the first to show a link between depression and sleep apnea along with its related disorders."

Ralph

Sleep Apnea can be caused by depression, but in order for the VA to award service-connection, you're going to need your doctor to write an IMO stating your sleep apnea is caused by your depression. The doctor must also give their rational as to why they have come to that conclusion. For the most part VA will not simply award service-connection just because there is medical litrature out there in general that support something.

Vike 17

Further some of the medications prescribed for depression can cause sleep apnea. I'd get an outside opinion on this one thoigh. The VA would probably be reluctant to admit to it.

Bob Smith