VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

QTC exam for Ptsd, anxiety, depression

Rate this question

oldtimer92

Question

Hello All, 

Put in 1 claim for anxiety and depression and 1 for ptsd(noncombat). Had QTC exam today.. Doctor said I have signs of ptsd but dont meet full criteria for it. Definitely have anxiety and depression. But he couldnt say if my issues are more of the ptsd or the depression, but I needed to continue counseling. So is this good or bad?

First:  GEt a copy of the exam and READ what he said.  What they tell you is not always what they write down.  

However, based on what he told you, this is a "deal breaker".  It sounds like you are not diagnosed with PTSD.  To get sc you must have 3 things DOCUMENTED IN YOUR FILE:

1.  Current diagnosis.  (PTSD if thats what you applied for). 

2.  In service event or "stressor" .(or aggravation) 

3.  Nexus, or medical link that your PTSD is "at least as likely as not" caused from xx event while in military service 

Based on what you posted, YOU do not meet the criteria above.  However, dont dismay.  Order your cfile and read it and see if another doc supplied the above.  

If not, then you will likely need an IMO/IME BUT VA does not trust private docs to diagnose PTSD (unfortunately).  YOU must have a VA doctor diagnose PTSD to be compensated for it.   

You can get service connected for depression (diagnosis) instead of PTSD.  However, you still need the 3 Caluza triangle elements, which I outlined above.  

Edited by broncovet

In addition to the above, if you had in-service treatment for anxiety and/or depression, this can serve as your in-service event to establish SC for your current condition(s). PTSD is not the only psychiatric disorder that can be service-connected.

As a clarifying point - the VA not using private diagnoses of PTSD has nothing to do with trust, it has everything to do with how 38 CFR 3.304(f)(3) is written - if a stressor is based on fear of hostile military activity, the regulation specifies that the substantiated diagnosis must be made by a VA examiner or an examiner with which the VA has contracted (likely because a PTSD diagnosis has very specific criteria, all of which must be met for a grant of SC, and private providers generally do not list each criterion individually and indicate that it is met, resulting in the requirement for a VA examination anyway, which is why non fear-based stressors also often require a VA examination). 

I would also suggest that you attempt to get a copy of both the examination and any medical opinion attached to it, so you know what's coming.

Thank you both. The exam was for both claims. I do have current diagnosis from Va mental health psychologist of generalized anxiety disorder which also includes depression diagnosis. He has also referred me to see psychiatrists to get correct medicine. Both stressors have to do with near death event while an active duty and the psychologist is the one that really pointed out to me that I keep living in the past and can't get past it and the trigger was the death or my sister(my best friend) and then her husband 2 months later and coping with that because we live right across the street from one another.

3 hours ago, oldtimer92 said:

Both stressors have to do with near death event while an active duty and the psychologist is the one that really pointed out to me

you're G2G. Whether it's PTSD, Anxiety, Depression or Ooglie-Booglie disease is immaterial *- Impairment is the % factor.

'A claim for one MH condition is a claim for any MH condition' (I can't find the reference, perhaps someone could help)

Now, as mentioned above, you need to see what the examiner wrote- Whether he connected the current disability to service (nexus) or not.

*some mental health disorders aren't directly connectable; Some personality disorders - Noooooo expert here- Or anywhere really.

• HadIt.com Elder

There are several phychiatric disorders ,here is a list of the diagnostic codes for each disorder

they are # from 9201 thru 9440  at CFR 38 4.130

General Rating Formula for Mental Disorders

Rating

Total occupational and social impairment, due to such symptoms as: gross impairment in thought processes or communication; persistent delusions or hallucinations; grossly inappropriate behavior; persistent danger of hurting self or others; intermittent inability to perform activities of daily living (including maintenance of minimal personal hygiene); disorientation to time or place; memory loss for names of close relatives, own occupation, or own name.100

Occupational and social impairment, with deficiencies in most areas, such as work, school, family relations, judgment, thinking, or mood, due to such symptoms as: suicidal ideation; obsessional rituals which interfere with routine activities; speech intermittently illogical, obscure, or irrelevant; near-continuous panic or depression affecting the ability to function independently, appropriately and effectively; impaired impulse control (such as unprovoked irritability with periods of violence); spatial disorientation; neglect of personal appearance and hygiene; difficulty in adapting to stressful circumstances (including work or a worklike setting); inability to establish and maintain effective relationships.70

Occupational and social impairment with reduced reliability and productivity due to such symptoms as: flattened affect; circumstantial, circumlocutory, or stereotyped speech; panic attacks more than once a week; difficulty in understanding complex commands; impairment of short- and long-term memory (e.g., retention of only highly learned material, forgetting to complete tasks); impaired judgment; impaired abstract thinking; disturbances of motivation and mood; difficulty in establishing and maintaining effective work and social relationships.50

Occupational and social impairment with occasional decrease in work efficiency and intermittent periods of inability to perform occupational tasks (although generally functioning satisfactorily, with routine behavior, self-care, and conversation normal), due to such symptoms as: depressed mood, anxiety, suspiciousness, panic attacks (weekly or less often), chronic sleep impairment, mild memory loss (such as forgetting names, directions, recent events).30

Occupational and social impairment due to mild or transient symptoms which decrease work efficiency and ability to perform occupational tasks only during periods of significant stress, or symptoms controlled by continuous medication.10

A mental condition has been formally diagnosed, but symptoms are not severe enough either to interfere with occupational and social functioning or to require continuous medication.

Edited by Buck52

• HadIt.com Elder

oldtimer92

I would suggest you stay in VA MH Treatment, some of the medication can help you but also staying in treatment can help you with your claim....check your Myhealevet Notes from time to time. if you don't have a e benefits account  you can go to your VAMC imformation release of medical records  request a copy of your VA Medical records.

Let the VA  Phyistrist and the M.H. Dr's figure it out, They do this  by interviewing you and asking harsh questions  and put together your symptoms to make a DSM 5 decision on what your problems are and diagnose you accordingly.

Always be honest with therm so they can make a correct diagnose.

jmo

Edited by Buck52