VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Who decides amounts of DIC?

kate7772

Question

I'm just wondering who decides on the amount of DIC?  Is it the Sec. of VA or some governing body?  Been doing a lot of thinking lately.  My husband is 100% P&T.  If he should die and it is due to his disability or he makes it to the 10 year mark, I will get approx. $1257.  It will be impossible for me to make it on that amount which scares me to death.  His disability goes back to 2011 officially but I am sure it was long before that.  Because of that fact, it was difficult to impossible for me to pursue my own career.  I was always watching him and sometimes even working for the same company so I would be able to help him and keep an eye on him and his PTSD symptoms.  At the time, we did not know what was causing his problems so did not file for disability.  Through a lot of investigation and others mentioning things to us, we finally understood what for so many years was not understandable to us.  I'm sure there are so many others that are dealing with these same issues.  Since I did not have my own career and his was sporadic through the years, we are grateful for the disability compensation that was finally awarded.  But, in the event of his death, the future is so scary.  I really feel widows and widowers should be entitled to continue to receive the full disability upon the veteran's death, especially older survivors.  So, who decides these issues.  Who would need to be lobbied?

Thanks,

Kate

• Answers 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

I hope you husband is eligible for and has applied for SSDI. His 100% P & T VA award would help with SSDI, if he meets their full criteria.If there are young school aged children, then there would be other benefits for them and for you, under his SSDI.

At age 60 a widow or widower can apply for SSA at the reduced retirement rate,based on their spouses SSA payments,if qualified ,or can hold off until their own retirement date,age 65, to get a larger benefit monthly, in addition to their DIC benefit.

https://www.ssa.gov/planners/survivors/onyourown2.html

There is a SSDI  web site as well with more info on the eligibility factors of this benefit.

Personally I dont think the regular DIC benefit will ever change.

I am a Gold Star Wife and the GSW org is still fighting aggressively for concurrent receipt of both DIC and SBP. I think those widows /widowers deserve that but I do not foresee regular DIC recipients getting anymore than what we get now and maybe a Cola from time to time.

I have used CHAMPVA and Chap 35, which you are also entitled to , and these benefits ,to me

are priceless.The 100% P & T award also might help you get a property tax exception.It depends on your locale's tax assessor's office.

• HadIt.com Elder

I agree I think the compensation a veteran gets while still living  and dies  all his compensation should keep going to the widow  because in my opinion every thing is usually left to the spouse. 

SO WHY CUT THE DESERVED BENEFITS FROM THE VETERAN SPOUSE?

Maybe we can get Ms berta to lobby for us to The New President Trump about changing the DIC

I'D VOTE FOR IT.

I hate to think what would happen to my spouse after I die...some veteran set up a big LIFE INSURANCE POLICY for their spouse 200.000.00 grand or more  but we just have 20.000.00 on me   not much when you think of all the expenses of living and paying the bills.

jmo

................Buck

• HadIt.com Elder

btw Ms berta

I mention some things to  you know who   about you know who.

I was going to PM you but I remember you don't like PM's  so I honor your request.

Buck - I think my PM thing is open....got some PMs the other day about you know who .

My email access  is what is closed.

You are right about life insurance and every vet with a spouse should try and get it because although some DIC claims sometimes go fairly quickly ( 100% P & T ten year claims) it can often take a long time before the DIC is awarded for other claims.

Edited by Berta

You are right about life insurance and every vet with a spouse should try and get it because although some DIC claims sometimes go fairly quickly ( 100% P & T ten year claims) it can often take a long time before the DIC is awarded for other claims.

There are other $$$ allowances VA pays  for widows:

http://benefits.va.gov/Compensation/current_rates_dic.asp

Many widows get what they used to call " enhanced DIC". It is under the allowances part here.

Also we get the VA Home Loan Guarantee.

Congress would have to resolve the SBP DIC offset regulations( which Gold Star Wives Inc has been fighting for Years over,) before they could even consider a higher rate of DIC for none SBP widows/widowers.

PS GSWs also has male members who lost their spouse due to their service but never changed their name.

There are other $$$ allowances VA pays  for widows:

http://benefits.va.gov/Compensation/current_rates_dic.asp

Many widows get what they used to call " enhanced DIC". It is under the allowances part here.

Also we get the VA Home Loan Guarantee.

Congress would have to resolve the SBP DIC offset regulations( which Gold Star Wives Inc has been fighting for Years over,) before they could even consider a higher rate of DIC for none SBP widows/widowers.

PS GSWs also has male members who lost their spouse due to their service but never changed their name.