VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Agent Orange Disability Ratings

Rate this question

VietnamVetSis

Question

My brother's Ischemic Heart Disease as a result of Agent Orange exposure as a Marine Rifleman in Quang Nam Province in 1969-70 was just approved - and rated at 60%.   Another AO disability of Diabetes II was also approved at a 40% rating last summer.  These, combined with his previous disability of scars/lack of motion from his battle wounds, gives him a total combined disability rating of 80%.   I couldn't have done it without the help of HADit.   I had no clue about the claims process when I started.   I am still going to keep plugging away on getting a schizophrenia nexus.   But I wanted to say thank you to everyone out there in the HADit  community that has given me guidance.  God bless you.

I remember his claim VietnamVet Sis and this is Wonderful News!

Is he still employed, and if not, did they enclose a TDIU app for him?

It is always great to know hadit has helped a vet and his family!

8 hours ago, VietnamVetSis said:

My brother's Ischemic Heart Disease as a result of Agent Orange exposure as a Marine Rifleman in Quang Nam Province in 1969-70 was just approved - and rated at 60%.   Another AO disability of Diabetes II was also approved at a 40% rating last summer.  These, combined with his previous disability of scars/lack of motion from his battle wounds, gives him a total combined disability rating of 80%.   I couldn't have done it without the help of HADit.   I had no clue about the claims process when I started.   I am still going to keep plugging away on getting a schizophrenia nexus.   But I wanted to say thank you to everyone out there in the HADit  community that has given me guidance.  God bless you.

Thank YOU VietnamVetSis for looking out for your brother. As Berta has already noted, if he is not employed or employed making less than 12k (approx. Federal poverty level) he may be eligible for IU. If he hasn't worked in a while they might even award him 100% TPIU (Total & Permanent & Individual Unemployable).

DMII as you know can cause anything from minor to devastating secondary issues. Keep after him to maintain those sugar levels... you both have suffered enough already!

Thank you --- he hasn't worked since the 80's.   Totally dependent on my parents until their passing - at which time I took over.  He is 68.   His only 'earnings' are from social security - $10,920 annually.   Well below poverty line - not even enough to file taxes.   I got him on Food Stamps and got him Medicaid QMB that pays his Medicare Part B premium.   In addition to social security, the VA will now compensate him $18,672 annually.   Btw, they deemed him incompetent to manage his affairs (schizophrenic) and just appointed me his Federal Fiduciary.  Is TPIU a possibility ?   Even though he's a senior citizen now ?

On 2/11/2017 at 11:07 AM, VietnamVetSis said:

Marine Rifleman in Quang Nam Province in 1969-70

For Comp, unemployability must be a result of a service connected disability.

Many times there's 'secondary to' disabilities to DMII, such as peripheral nephropathy. These are a near 'slam dunk' if he has a diagnosis.

I have little doubt his Schizophrenia was triggered by his service, I'd guess as a result of traumatic events in Vietnam. It would be incredible to suggest his being a rifleman in Vietnam had no part in the onset. I'm not being tongue in cheek or suggesting being 'sneaky' when I say the following:

The VA sees only 'PTSD' in mental health, everything is viewed in terms of traumatic event(s) or fear of such. You must see what he's currently diagnosed with as a result of this- Kinda like how a snowball gets bigger as it rolls down a hill.

See if he has a Combat Action Badge (CAB), Combat Infantryman's Badge (CIB) or qualifying medals listed on his DD214. If so, you simply file 21-0781 and put "CAB, see DD214". If not, he'll have to write out a statement of 'Fear of Hostile activity', and he'll get a PTSD exam.

Again, Schizophrenia is a manifestation of these events. Clinicians agree that it's 'triggered' by stress during late teens/early twenties. It's important to focus on those events, not the outcome of what they call Schizophrenia. Again, the VA only speaks in terms of PTSD, so schizophrenia is extremely difficult.

You can get his current provider, if private, to fill out a PTSD Initial DBQ, instead of waiting for the VA to schedule an exam.

I want to say there's still guys that are incapacitated due to their Vietnam service- most don't have Schizophrenia. His reaction was just worse.

Thanks Mike for your response.   He had a mental C&P exam for PTSD and Schizophrenia last year.   They diagnosed him with schizophrenia but said it was not service connected - they declined the PTSD claim as it's been so long since his trauma I guess he didn't give the right answers.  (He was wounded in action - set off a grenade booby trap - still has shrapnel in his ankle and deep wounds in legs and arm).   He has all the combat badges / purple heart etc.   I have requested a copy of the C&P exam and have been waiting 11 months.   I have a private psychologist on retainer who used to be a C&P examiner to analyze the examination document and hopefully provide some new evidence and nexus letter to disagree with the PTSD/Schizophrenia denial.   He has also agreed to do a "Facetime" interview with my brother to write up a DBQ.   I've been told by another psychologist that a successful Schizophrenia claim is extremely difficult to obtain.   Unfortunately,  back when he had his breakdown (about 7 years after Vietnam), the private doctors then didn't recognize or even use the term PTSD and his official diagnosis was Paranoid Schizophrenia.   So it will be a tough nut to crack.   Thanks again for your input.   Really appreciate it.

8 hours ago, VietnamVetSis said:

(He was wounded in action - set off a grenade booby trap - still has shrapnel in his ankle and deep wounds in legs and arm).   He has all the combat badges / purple heart etc.  

I have a private psychologist on retainer who used to be a C&P examiner to analyze the examination document and hopefully provide some new evidence and nexus letter to disagree with the PTSD/Schizophrenia denial.   He has also agreed to do a "Facetime" interview with my brother to write up a DBQ. 

PTSD;

Slam

Dunk

Is he rated for the scars/disfigurement in arms legs?