VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Agent Orange Disability Ratings

Rate this question

VietnamVetSis

Question

My brother's Ischemic Heart Disease as a result of Agent Orange exposure as a Marine Rifleman in Quang Nam Province in 1969-70 was just approved - and rated at 60%.   Another AO disability of Diabetes II was also approved at a 40% rating last summer.  These, combined with his previous disability of scars/lack of motion from his battle wounds, gives him a total combined disability rating of 80%.   I couldn't have done it without the help of HADit.   I had no clue about the claims process when I started.   I am still going to keep plugging away on getting a schizophrenia nexus.   But I wanted to say thank you to everyone out there in the HADit  community that has given me guidance.  God bless you.

Yes, this is why I need a copy of the C&P examination on Schizophrenia and PTSD.   They determined, and put in writing in the denial letter, that he is 50% schizophrenic - but not service related - and incompetent to manage his own VA funds.   And then they question him about his symptoms (which I'm sure he denied) and take his answers at face value?   They wouldn't let me attend the exam so I'm very anxious to see the Doctor's notes.   VA is taking forever to give me a copy.   

PS -- @Buck52

I enumerated and explained many times to the VA in the original schizophrenia/PTSD claim that his behavior includes:

• Total disregard for personal hygene (does not bathe, use deodorant, launder clothing or sheets) and has not done so in decades
  • Grossly inappropriate behavior (smearing feces on walls - ugh - sorry)
  • Leaves gas stove burners on high to heat the apartment - very dangerous
  • Impaired communication - cannot understand what he is saying/does not enunciate and yells his responses
  • Has had no personal interaction/friend since he left for Vietnam.  (His best friend was KIA and that's why he enlisted voluntarily)  Has no phone, no computer.   Didn't have a TV until my husband and I provided him with one along with cable service at our expense.  No interaction with outside world unless it's at grocery store.

So I'll include all of this info again with the disagreement/appeal.

• HadIt.com Elder

Sounds Good!

I have a myHealtheVet account and was able to download my C&P via the BlueButton. Mine was done in-house. I requested all my doctor notes for the date of the exam til the month following. Do you live near  the regional office, you have a right to review you C&P file in person and obtain a copy that way. If you been waiting 11 months for a copy, did you specify under the Freedom Information Act you have a right to obtain this information. If you didn't reference the FOI act it could take forever, but there is a time element that they have to get back to you on your FOI request.

I made the request for the C&P exam directly to the FOIA officer in Washington DC and quoted the 60 day response time.  I sent the request to other places as well.  The exam was conducted by QTC -- a contractor here in the Washington DC metro area that performs exams for the VA so the exam is not available on the 'Blue Button/ My Healthevet".   I engaged someone here on the HADit site for a consult / interview with my bother / IME etc --- paid for consult.  I mailed all of the records to him, had a brief convo on the phone months ago and now he's not responding to any of my phone calls or emails.   They bounce back and phone is disconnected and web site is blocked from any contact, and even facebook has a canned "acknowledgement" response when I send him info.   Anyone have any experience with Mark D. Worthen, Psyd ?   He was going to help me with service connection nexus.   Very discouraged right now.

Probably best that flake didn't fill out the DBQ.

You can ask a VSO or the regional office to print the exam for you. I'm sure there's clinicians around you who would fill it out- Download the DBQ and familiarize yourself with it- I think there's questions on the extent of claims folder the examiner is able to review- For instance, if they had his DD-214, the QTC exam and service treatment records- They m i g h t be able to kinda honestly say they reviewed relevant evidence sorta.

The opinion is what's important.