VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Is this a CUE

Rate this question

kluender

Question

I just read my cousin's VA medical records and discovered that in 2006, during a consultation, the clinical psychologist wrote, "...one could make a case for PTSD, but I was struck by his severe major depression.  He reports vague hallucinations, which may be part of a schizoaffective disorder, but could be associated solely with a severe major depression with psychotic features."  He also wrote, "While in the military, he did experience a trauma in seeing a fellow soldier underneath the tires of a truck, although this individual did apparently recover. He noted continued bad dreams about this."  

Prior to the psychologist's assessment, under symptoms/diagnosis, PTSD is checked. After the assessment, depression and PTSD are both checked with a question mark beside PTSD.   

05/19/2015, he filed a claim for "service connection for post traumatic stress disorder, to include depression" and was denied "because the medical evidence of record fails to show that this disability has been clinically diagnosed." Also, "During your VA examination, no diagnosis of PTSD was made. Also, we have not found that you experienced a stressful event in service, including fear of hostile military or terrorist activity."  

Around August 2016, he applied again and noted trauma from seeing his friend injured under a 2 1/2T and also from having his hometown best friend, who my cousin talked into entering the military with him, die after his truck went over a bridge. He received 10%. A NOD has since been filed. I found the psychologist's 2006 diagnosis after the NOD.

Can anything be done about oversight of the 2006 diagnosis of PTSD and severe mental depression at this late date?

Thank You TOO!!!

I almost missed this, the last post I can probably read today--ice and snow in NY and it is affecting my PC dish.

You deal with so much as it is, yet are willing to help this vet.I hope he fights the HL claim as well.

Jungle Rot- yeah my husband had that bad too from Vietnam and the doc years ago told him not to wear underwear. But when he was sent to the VAMC ER where he worked ( they diagnosed sinus infection but it was a heart attack) the nurse reported him for not wearing underwear when they took off part of his VA uniform.

His VA boss ( who every vet there  hated )gave him a regulation a few days later that said it was mandatory to work at the VA with underwear on. So he said to his boss:  ( my husband  had PTSD too and he could be a real pisser)

'Well OK I guess I will comply with that regulation and go out and buy a pair of underwear but the VA regulation does not say I have to wash or change my underwear.'

(Of course he bought more than one pair and they were always washed...The VA told him Tinacitin would help with the Jungle Rot and it seemed to sometimes)

His boss was miserable and always picked on the ": Crazies" as he called the Vietnam vets in his department. Many years later the boss called me up and told me he had just been diagnosed with PTSD and this was why he was so miserable to the Vietnam vets.He had never ever associated his temper outbursts and lots of family problems with Vietnam. The VA put him on a FERS sick leave because his behavior had become so bad towards his co workers.One more case where the VA could have helped this guy sooner. I think his wife had even left him.He was scared of the diagnosis but we had a long talk and I knew from that point on, the VA would help him. He said he wished he could apologize to my husband for the crap he put him through at the VA but my husband was dead by then and I told him there was no need to apologize at all.And nothing to fear or be ashamed of because he had been to Hell and survived-who wouldn't have PTSD.

Edited by Berta

• HadIt.com Elder

I Can relate to klunder  about the brother-in-law that does't want to help out

I Sometimes stop by the VBA when I go to my Appointments  and talk to few veterans and give out hadit cards I printed off  and let them know hadit members can help them with their claims and some veterans are not interested or just to shy to discuss their claim setting in the VBA waiting room?

I tell them in short detail about hadit and give them Ms Tbird hadit cards  ( the ones that will take them.)

I guess some veterans are just not interested in helping other vets.? maybe they have their reason?

which I can't think of any other than medically unable.

Edited by Buck52

• HadIt.com Elder

your welcome kluender,

Ms berta is the best when it comes to veterans claims and DIC.

• HadIt.com Elder

yes I agree it is a damn shame!

Ms berta  Move to Texas We have plenty of that good old sunshine & short winters.

the only thing here in Texas is they say  the weather will change in a blink of the eye.

One minute it maybe sun shinny and nice out and in another minute it can be raining  or snowing in the blink of an eye.  eh!