VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Please help! Death certificate PTSD veteran

Rate this question

hedgey

Question

My ex husband is in the hospital dying from an overdose yesterday of his PTSD medications. Because we had a daughter together, and he wisely married a wonderful woman for his 4th wife, I want to help her as much as possible.

Ex was a Viet Nam medic in 1967-68. He's 100% for PTSD, but not for more than 5 years (it was so hard for him to ask for help).

What will VA be looking for on the death certificate to consider it a service-connected death when the vet has PTSD?

If it seems bizarre to think there's a way to influence what the certificate says... when my father-in-law died in the nursing home a few years ago, I gave them the list of his SC conditions and they were happy to list one of them as his cause of death.

Please help with this question. I talked to the ICU nurse and he's in a coma, no brain activity, lungs full of gastric fluid. She doesn't think he'll last the night.

I really want to help this woman. She was the best stepmother I could have prayed for for my daughter. He wasn't often the best dad, but she was great and deserves whatever benefits we can get for her. She would definitely be eligible for DIC, as long as the VA counts his death as SC.

Edited by hedgey
clarification

Buck , the widow did get DIC:

http://community.hadit.com/topic/66577-my-husband-died-in-motorcycle-accident/

":or DIC Benefits  and who gets what? "

Buck there is no question on who would get potential DIC in this recent thread.

It would be awarded to his current spouse, as long as they were married for one full year prior to his death-

death- which as far as I know has not occurred yet.

The VA will even award for common law marriage if that has lasted at least one year prior to a veteran's death, and if they live in a common law state.These are the DOMA requirements as well.

Edited by Berta