VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Sleep apnea

Rate this question

Jayco

Question

I filed a claim with the help of my doctor for sleep apnea as secondary connection.  Denied.  Filed a NOD.  Denied.  The NOD was denied over a year ago.  A doctor for the VA said my sleep apnea was due to being over weight and that I "refused" to use my CPAP.  They offered me a hearing, but I never responded.  I have tried off and on for 10 years to use a CPAP and just cannot use them.  Discouraged by the whole process I just gave up. 

Read this concerning weight:

"Unfortunately, too many people disregard the other risk factors for diabetes and think that weight is the only risk factor that raises the chances of a person developing a disease for type 2 diabetes. Most overweight people never develop type 2 diabetes, and many people with type 2 diabetes are at a normal weight or only moderately overweight."

Read this on CPAP machines and surgery in a forum in Thailand:

"I went to Bummrumgard here in TH and the doctor told me he didn't dispense them to overweight people they didn't work well enough.  He also didn't do the expensive surgery for sleep apnea on older or overweight people."  

Bummrungrad is a well known and highly respected hospital in Bangkok.  I went there for heart disease and diabetes, but not sleep apnea. 

I'm now thinking about trying again.  I have two questions:

Do I start over like it is a new claim?

Can someone recommend an attorney or doctor with experience in filing claims for sleep apnea?

I think I have a case.  It most likely will end up having to go to a hearing, so I need expertise in filing the claim.

Thanks.

• Answers 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Did you file your VA C-File FOIA request yet, if not, why not? Your 70%, a 50% for SA would bump you to 90% SC Comp Rate, much better Comp Rate.                                                                                                                                                   What exactly have you done so far, with regards to a New SA Secondary Claim? Are there any Sleep Neurologist MDs in Thailand?                                                                                                    I think my (1) and only non-VA Sleep Study (2 nights 2010), cost BCBS about 20 or $30K. How close is the nearest VMC?