VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Noob with Noob Question

Rate this question

StickySteve760

Question

Good Morning All,

I have a few questions regarding my VA compensation :

1) The (2) foot numbness and tingling disabilities are related to plantar fasciitis which was documented during one of my VA visits. Should I request this to be opened within eBenefits or do i need further documentation.

2) A few of my disabilities have further degenerated. Should I apply for an increase without any real documentation that supports my claims?

3) A few months ago I went to the emergency room thinking I was having a heart attack. False alarm, apparently I was having anxiety attacks (first time ever). I had a few appointments with the VA mental health clinic and the shrink said I may be experiencing panic/anxiety attack from service related experiences. I was prescribed some kind of anti-depressant which I took for a few days, but had to discontinue do to the side effects. The main reason I have not pressed this issue with the VA is because I work for a company that requires a security clearance and in the future I will need to have my Top Secret. I guess what I am saying is... I do not want to somehow be diagnosed with PTSD from anxiety attacks than somehow not be eligible for a higher clearance.

Below is a chart of my current disability status.

Cheers,

Disability Rating Decision Related To Effective Date
strain, right knee 10% Service Connected   05/2016
left foot numbness and tingling   Not Service Connected    
carpal tunnel syndrome, right upper extremity 10% Service Connected   05/2016
right foot numbness and tingling   Not Service Connected    
gastroesophageal reflux disease 0% Service Connected   05/2016
strain, left shoulder 20% Service Connected   05/2016
carpal tunnel syndrome, left upper extremity 10% Service Connected   05/2016
strain, lumbosacral spine 10% Service Connected   05/2016

2 answers to this question

1.  YOu can request it, but it will need documented for an award.  What does your medical records say?  Did you apply for plantar fasciatis?  

2.  You should apply for an increase if it gets worse, yes, but you wont get any additional benefits until its documented.  

3.  This is a question you need to ask yourself.  If your PTSD (if you have it) is severe enough to bother you, then you should apply, recognizing that it may not help your career.  Its a trade off.  Or, you can keep quiet about it and keep your job.  

They shouldnt fire you for PTSD, but it wont help you get a Top Secret 
Clearance.  We cant decide which is best for you, but you will decide.  If you can work, with symptoms of PTSD, I recommend doing just that.  Only  when it becomes severe enough that you seriously need help, then you will know its time to apply..even tho it may not help your career.

They may have trouble firing you for PTSD symptoms..but if they do, then you should be able to get TDIU if you are unemployable.  

18 hours ago, StickySteve760 said:

I went to the emergency room thinking I was having a heart attack. False alarm, apparently I was having anxiety attacks

Sounds like the cat's already out of the bag, so to speak. If you don't file, you'll still have to answer for the ER visit on your clearance